Engines...

I need help, I'm looking to buy a new engine for a Pt-60 trainer by great planes (requires a 60 engine). My options are a O.S. for about CDN$190.00

or a super tiger for about CDN$100.00
unfortanitly I'm new to engines and the guys in the store seem to lead me nowhere but in to confusion (good way to get me to get the O.S.) any ways was hoping someone here could tell me if they have heard of super tiger and what its record is for breaking in, starting (hot and cold) and its general running and maybe its reliability and its longevity in comparison to other engines and specifically to the O.S.

Reply to
Dave

Dave,

One comment!

That's an awful lot of money for a Trainer. ________________________________ Earl Scherzinger 'AMA' #40329

Reply to
Earl Scherzinger

Supertiger engines are reputed to be very good and reliable ONCE THEY ARE BROKEN IN. They are also on the heavy side.

I do not have first hand experience with the Supertiger, however, the Thunder Tiger and Evolution engines I do have 1st hand experience with and they are extremely user friendly, powerful and noticably less expensive than the OS.

By user friendly I mean:

99%+ are going to run reasonably well right out of the box. Minimal breakin is required Run great on 10% nitro Constant "fiddling" is not required.

If you decide to go with the Evolution engine, you may want to seriously consider removing the "stops" on the high and low speed needles. While nice, I found that where I needed to have my needles was right at the stops, so I had no additional adjustment.

Reply to
Ted Campanelli

Dont know if they are available up there but you might look at GMS engines. I have the .76 ringed which is about $100 US from Tower Hobbies. Same size as a .60 but lighter.

Reply to
Fubar of The HillPeople

From experience the ST engines are very difficult to adjust when they are new and not run in. I finally had to replace the ST carb with an OS carb for them to run reliably. ST engines do not like high nitro in the fuel. On the other hand the OS engines run like a charm right out of the box.

Reply to
Sportflyer

Reply to
R.A.Gareau

I have the carb set-up procedure from Mike Wiltshire the UK distributor if you do go down the ST route they work like clockwork once correctly set

Reply to
funfly3

-------------

No argument with you, but all of the Evolution glow engines I have seen were rather expensively priced. Maybe I have to look more carefully?

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

I always think its amazing, and sad also, that in these groups, there are a lot of good guys with a real wealth of knowledge. These guys can be invaluable to someone who is starting off. What a shame it is that nobody actually answers the question that was asked!!! Dave told everyone the two engines that are a "possibility" for him. but most the replies refer to engines he hasnt listed... Come on guys, lets try to stay on topic here, that way beginners can actually get HELP not CONFUSED.

Brian.

Reply to
Brian

| I always think its amazing, and sad also, that in these groups, there are a | lot of good guys with a real wealth of knowledge. These guys can be | invaluable to someone who is starting off. What a shame it is that nobody | actually answers the question that was asked!!!

Did you even read the posts you're referring to?

| Dave told everyone the two engines that are a "possibility" for him. but | most the replies refer to engines he hasnt listed...

Most of the replies DO mention the engines he listed.

- That's a lot of money for a trainer - GMS engines are good - Supertigers are good once broken in - Supertigers are hard to adjust until broken in - Supertigers have carb issues - Supertigers work great once broken in - Tower .75 is cheaper, but OS engines are great, Evolution engines are bargains - Evolution engines are expensive - What a shame that nobody actually answers the asked question

If you ask me, only *one* of these posts wasn't helpful at all -- yours. And if you actually *read* the question, he *did* ask for `comparison to other engines and specifically to the O.S.'

| Come on guys, lets try to stay on topic here, that way beginners can | actually get HELP not CONFUSED.

`Go not to rec.models.rc.air for counsel, for they will say both no and yes ...' (and both answers may be right.) (Apologies to Tolkien.)

I've found Supertiger engines to be OK (not bad, not great), though I've never used that specific one.

I *have* used that specific OS engine, and it worked very well -- in fact, it was one of the best working glow engines I've ever had. But I've got a Tower Hobbies 75 in another plane, and it's been just as reliable and seems to perform slightly better -- and costs about half as much.

Reply to
Doug McLaren

But that is Usenet in general.

There is always a high level of bored people whose only contribution is 'if you want to get to there, you shouldn't start from here' or 'you don't want to get to there at all really'

Not helped by vague quatsions which don;t even state where the poster is now, or where he is trying to get..

I mean 'is a ferrari better than a 30 ton articulated truck' is a silly question..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Thank you Brian the first guy with guts, I have honestly been thinking the same thing but thought I'll just have to sift threw and take what I can, but after all the back and forth and after all the good recommendations for the super tiger I've decided that those people that have recommended it did on 2 accounts they are no longer beginners and there referring to an engine that has been broken in, both dont help, me since I'll need to break it in myself and I am a beginner. So I may be a sucker but I'll go with the reputation of the O.S. since I got maybe one bad comment about that one but so many more about the ST and other brands Thankfully Dave

Brian wrote:

Reply to
Dave

If the two engines are only a "possibility" and not an absolute, why not suggest alternatives? Especially if the possible engines are more expensive than they need to be for various reasons?

The experts are not doing the beginner a service if the beginner has come to think that only an OS will do for training. Who knows who he/she has been talking to? Most likely the local LHS owner who has his own agenda. Or some R/C club anal retentive that is absolutely convinced (in error) that only an OS engine will do.

Why not try to offer the beginner more alternatives so that, once educated, he can make up his own mind?

Frankly, I don't recall the OP's original question. But this is usenet - and so it goes.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

On 4 Jan 2007 06:23:35 -0800, "Dave" wrote in :

Take good care of it and it will serve you for a long time. You'll get your money's worth out of it over the long haul.

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

Well here's my beginner story. When I was first getting into RC I asked the folks at the local club the same questions. The resounding answer was get an engine that is forgiving for a beginner. Get one that has a good reputation for quality and reliability. Get one that will break in well within a short time....a ringed engine. Above all, get one that the local folks are familiar with so that any problems will likely be resolved easily and quickly.

That left me with Enya and O.S. and those are the brands I still recommend to this day. I haven't seen Enya around much but my local dealer had quite a few in stock so I kept recommending them till they were all gone.

I was also advised to build a break in stand and run a few tanks through any new engine before even mounting it to a plane.

That was the best advice this beginner ever got. Plain and simple.

Dan

Reply to
Geezer

"Geezer" wrote

Good advise on two accounts.

The engine gets broken ink, and the beginner gets a chance to fiddle with the needle valves, and see how certain adjustments make the engine run differently. That is a good thing, IMHO.

Reply to
Morgans

Which begs the question, "Does anyone have a design/plans for a break-in stand?"

Harlan

Reply to
H Davis

unless you own a machine shop it would be safer to buy one or just screw a normal engine mount to a suitable sized chunk of wood and stick it in your workmate

Reply to
funfly3

If I recall correctly, my first was made by Dubro. There was also one available through Great Planes or Dave Brown. My best was just made from a couple of basswood rails that I clamped to a sawhorse. I used a clevis and threaded rod attached to the throttle and ran it through a rubber band wrapped around one of the rails about a foot back. The band allowed the throttle rod to be set at different speeds during run-in without vibrating all over the place.

I'm sure there are plans out there...mine came from RC Modeler or one of the other mags available in the 80's. I might even have one or two kicking around that I can take a photo of. For some, I just took a standard motor mount attached to a single block of 2x4 long enough to clamp to a sawhorse and set up a friction clamp to hold the throttle rod in place during run-in. I used a lot of "Golden Rod" plastic rod assemblies for these (made by Sullivan?).

Hey, it's been a while and I'm rusty! 8^)

Dan

Reply to
Geezer