Engines...

Harlan,

Why make one? By the time you 'acquire' the materials and build it, you could buy a good proven stand from Tower Hobbies (J'Tec Test Stand 1/2A to

2.5 for $35) or other hobby places. This is the stand I have and it handles a very wide range of engines.

________________________________ Earl Scherzinger 'AMA' #40329

Reply to
Earl Scherzinger

materials? I use a hunk of a 4X4 post with an engine mount that I took off of a trainer(the kind that clamps the engine lugs), a 12" pushrod and clevis, an old tank, a #64 rubber band around the tank holds the throttle position, the whole thing is in a clamp, or vise. I had been screwing the engine directly to the 4X4 (it had a cut-out in one end) with longer screws each time but it got oily. mk

Reply to
Storm's Hamilton

Best of Luck with it Dave, hope everything works out for you. I was fully expecting the barrage of abuse that followed me as a result of my comments, but thats life I guess.... It dosent bother me, and I still belive in what I said, if a question is asked, answer the question! Dont go babbling on about something that wasnt asked, it dosent help anyone. I guess it makes some people feel inportant, gives the impression that they know something, whereas if they did, they would know to stick to the topic. As I said, best of luck with it Dave.

Reply to
Brian

-------------------

You get abused because you are trying to force your version of reality down other's throats. And, yes, it does bother you, or you wouldn't be writing about it here.

If there is an obvious answer that is clear as a bell, then yes, people should give that first and then expound later in the post. This gives the OP what they were looking for and an opportunity to skip out without reading the rest of the reply. But that is just my version of reality and it may not be yours.

How should someone answer a question when they know the question has been formulated on faulty information? Should we still be dead nuts accurate and let the beginner bumble along, ignorant of their mistake? What if we can discern that the questioner's basis for asking the question was based upon an incorrect assumption?

First and foremost, this area of communication appears to be a community, not a 24 hour help line - though it has served this function for quite a long time. No one is being paid to provide others with their knowledge. Expecting it to be so is very unrealistic.

Folks should be glad that they get the useful information they do get, without whining because they may have to read a little more than they would like in order to get it. This is tantamount to starving folks whining about the apples they were given being too sweet or too tart, when they should be glad that they got anything to eat at all.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

Ed, by and large the advice that is given is this group is good, and thousands have benefitted from it over the years, including myself. To go as far as to say that this is "not a 24 hour help line" and that "No one is being paid to provide others with their knowledge", we all understand that. Nobody expects it to be. I think that if you read back over Dave's second posting in this thread, you will discover that what I said originally, was borne out by his reply. I do appreciate that there are a lot of good guys in here, who are giving up their own time to help others, and I think thats wonderful, but you and I have both seen threads over our time, where when end of the thread bears no resemblence to the beginning in any shape or form. I simply think that if people can deal with the questions asked, it would lead to a vastly less confusing existance for beginners.

Reply to
Brian

I feel your pain, but... I say the more the merrier. A beginner must filter out the not so useful data. I've learned much from tangents, OT, and even rants. If usenet is confusing and can "get your goat" that easily then that downwind turn is going to kick his a&&. Let 'em post a question about "lift" or a "coordinated turn", everyone may answer the question differently and two of them will actually get mad about it. I get a kick out of that, don't spoil usenet common sense. mk

Reply to
Storm's Hamilton

How did you go with your engine?

You won't be disappointed with OS. Great engines, reliable and very fe problems from new.

Out of interest, I had a ST 40 from new. Not as bad as some make out t tune, but you have to be patient as any ringed engine takes time to ru in. It started easily and ran very sweet. Only catch was the ST4 weighed in at 80g more than the OS 46, which meant a heavier plane. O for a trainer as long as the CofG is sorted. Two other at our fiel have ST and both have been extremely happy with their engines over long period. They are solid, as I ploughed my new model into the groun at mega speed, had to use a bar to pry the engine oput of the hard dir and a thorough clean was all that was required to get back in the ai (plane not withstanding!!!).

Enjoy the hobby. Aint these boards and the people that run them great

-- trackhapp

this thread:

trackhappy