Futaba S3001 Servo Problem

I bought 5 Futaba S3001 servos as part of a pre-pack flight set. 3 of the 5 have failed. In all three servos the ground wire has broken free of the PCB board.

The servos were in different planes at the time of failure, so I doubt it could be excessive vibration. Has anyone else seen this?

Mark D

Reply to
Mark D. Fain

Sounds like a set you should send back to Futaba. Just because I haven't seen that before, doesn't mean it can't happen. Good Luck, let us all know how it comes out. Andy

We can make a box of wood.....FLY!!

Reply to
RCPILOT48

never had one fail maybe a mounting problem...... vibration....

Reply to
tim

I've used 3001s in helis and a couple of them several fail, for exactly the same reason. I now open them up when new and add a drop of glue to the wires where they meet the board. Takes about 1 minute per servo.

Reply to
David Smith

That was a very thoughtful and informative reply. In our throw-away society, it makes sense for a manufacturer to make a product that doesn't last a lifetime. I have airplanes with 10-year-old S148s in them that still function perfectly. I have some brand-new 3001s that I'm going to be a bit skeptical about, though.

-- Morris Lee snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net

Reply to
Morris Lee

The 148 is a much better servo than either the 3001 or 3004. Futaba made an error changing their "standard" servo. Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"

Reply to
Dr1Driver

If so, the upgrade path of taking an S148, and swapping out the case lid for one meant for an S3001, with a ball bearing on the output shaft, looks even better!

-tih

Reply to
Tom Ivar Helbekkmo

I don't find this to be true. I have worked on several 148's and 3003/4's and I don't find any significant mechanical or electrical differences. There are a few changes to make assembly easier/cheaper in the 3003/4 series.

I was disappointed when the 148 was superceeded but have now become acustomed to the 3004, especially at the price.

I am using the 3004's on an UltraStick 120 with a Saito 150 without any problem. I am installing 3004's on a GP 1/3 scale Pitts with a OS FF320 up front.

Dan Dan Thompson (AMA 32873, EAA 60974, WB4GUK, GROL) remove POST in address for email

Reply to
Dan Thompson