gasoline engines ( thanks fellas )

wanted to say thanks to all that answered my post on gasoline engines ,, i can see where mounting all servos and receiver to the tail end will keep radio equipment more than 12 inches away from the engine,,but what about the wiring for the wing servos,,got any ideas on how to run wiring through the wing and keep wires far enough away from engine ??? or do you know if wraping the wires with some sort or insulation would help ??? and again thank,, you for you input

Reply to
j.youngblood

The single technique that I personally credit with keeping RF noise away from servos is to ALWAYS make my own long leads so that I can use 3+,

22gauge wire for making them up. What I mean by "3+" is 3 wire plus a shield. What that is, is a 4 wire cable that also has a foil shield wrapped around the wires inside a sleeve. The 4th wire is a bare wire that contacts the shield foil the entire length of the cable. To keep RF interence from glithching the servos with long leads, what you do is to solder the cable up to the two end connectors as usual. But here's the important part: Solder the bare (shield) wire together with the ground wire ONLY at the receiver end connector. Do NOT solder the shield wire to ANYTHING at the servo end. At the servo end of the harness, just clip off the shield wire and leave it unconnected. In a couple of dozen plus years of R/C flying, I use mostly gas engines and I have never experienced any glitching of servos connected up that way. If you do, then you need to look at all the other things that make up the system.

MJC

Reply to
MJC