GWS foam park flyer

I got a GWS BF109 foamy a few weeks ago and have crashed it about a
dozen times. I am a newbie. I know that everyone will have a
kiniption about me not finding a teacher of sorts. I dont know
anybody who flies or of any airfields. I just wanted to comment on
the difficulty in keeping the thing in the air due to it being blown
around in the wind easily. Is there anything to be done to make it a
little more stable in the wind? I got FMS and have ordered a cable
for my transmitter, so I will be practicing on that. I appreciate
that FMS 8 has wind now. Is there anything else that works for
learning? Also is there anything to make my foamy stronger to take
the impacts better? Or what is the cheapest and best trainer
airplane. I have all the gear for electric fliers now. Thanks.
Reply to
Thater
Try a GWS Slow Stick. Pretty much flies itself and should use all the gear you already have from the 109. it's also less than $40
Reply to
Robert A. Plourde Jr.
How much wind are we talking about? Most "park" flyers don't do well in anything much over 10 mph or so. As has been said in other posts, the 109 is not a good trainer. It would be like learning to drive in a NASCAR stock car. Too much for the beginner to handle.
A larger plane may be in order if you regularly experience winds over 10 mph. The Easy Star may be the best choice for you at this time.
Jim W
Reply to
Black Cloud
Look in the Yellow Pages under hobby shops. Make a few phone calls. Find one that does R/C airplanes, and ask the proprietor where the local clubs are. It may very well be that there are none in your area, but you never know until you try. I didn't "know" of any airfields or clubs in my area when I started out, but it turned out that there were THREE local clubs, and several flying fields, including a public field that only required AMA membership.
It's not that you didn't get instruction, it's that you picked just about the hardest plane to fly. Show up at the field with that, and the instructors would send you home with instructions to get a different plane. WWII pilots didn't learn to fly in front-line fighters, by trial-and-error. What makes you think you can?
Reply to
Mathew Kirsch
Because it is a cheap and durable foam park flyer and he probably wont DIE if he makes a mistake and he is going to save himself some repair time by using a simulator. What did I win?
Reply to
Steve Banks