Hangar 9 Extra 300 1/3 scale

I have one and like it a lot, in spite of not liking ARF's very much. Using the Zenoah twin........marginal to not enough power if you are going to 3D the airplane. I'm sure the big guns of the 3D world would have no problem, but I need all the help I can get and the Zenoah ain't enough.

Pluses: Good cost to value ratio. Flys straight and is very predictible. Easy to get together, but it ain't an overnight project.

Minuses: Sensitive to high speed....tail flutter. The manual is clear about being careful with high speed. Don't know anyone who has actually and carefully weighed the RTF model and come within 3lbs of the advertised flying weight. Canopy sucks - I have melted two when plane was sitting on the flighline on moderate days.

I also removed all the covering as I hated the provided scheme. Therefore I could see clearly the construction craftsmanship. Wing panels and tail panels were very well done. The fuse, especially the front end had several pieces that were clearly designed to interlock, but didn't. Took a little fixing to get it where I was happy with it.

BTW, the original kits were set up with a single aileron servo in each wing panel, and the later kits were set up for two servos in each panel.

Hope this helps.

Reply to
Tom Minger

Any experience or comment ?

Reply to
Sylvain Blanchard

Thanks

Tom Minger a écrit :

Reply to
Sylvain Blanchard

Tom, What engine do you advise for 3D then? (if you look at weight etc)

Reply to
Maarten

At least a 100cc. Which one, however, I'm not qualified to recommend. I'd probably start looking at the DA 100 or the equivalent 3W engine. That's one of the problems in flying the big stuff; too damned expensive to be able to experiment..........even with props, not to mention engines.

All this is not to say the the Zenoah is a bad engine; it's not. My 330L just needs more power.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Minger

I Have flown the hanger 9 sukhoi with the gt-80, it flew good it was marginal hovering was scary at times. we then put a BME 105 in it and all i can say is that its a rocket with wings! it hovers at under half and we actually saved about 3 oz by puting that motor in it! the DA and 3W are good engines; but not for that size plane it will make a little to heavy. the whole BME setup (engine, ignition, battery,switch, and mufflers) weighed a little less than the gt-80 and mufflers! my choice for the extra is the BME 105.

Reply to
Mbuck515