Hanger 9 Extra 260

I just picked up the Hanger 9 Extra 260 27% (ARF). I'm thinking about using the OS FT-160 twin on this plane, if for no other reason than the cool factor of the twin cylinder engine. My concern is if this engine will have enough power. I'd like to be able to hover and still have some throttle left. Does anyone have experience with this plane/engine combo? Paul

Reply to
Paul in Redland

A light 50cc Gasser or 2.1ci glow (Moki) would give you better results, I think. Nice 260 BTW

Cheers,

Reply to
s.millington

If you want to go with a 4 Stroke twin the Saito FA-220 would be strong enough. At that price though, a good 50cc gasser would be much more economical. The 260 that's in the video seems to be using a

3w-50.

hope that helps,

Reply to
s.millington

If I simply wanted great performance I'd go for a 50 cc gasser for sure, but I'd like to use the OS 160 twin if it'll fly the plane well. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this plane/engine combo. BTW the Saito FA

220 is a single cylinder engine, a real powerhouse from what I've read. Paul

Reply to
Paul in Redland

Sorry Paul.

Your right,... the FA-220 is a single (nice one too) Both OS and Saito make a 300 twin which are what I was thinking about.

If you put the Extra together to wind up in the light end of it's weight range, the OS-160 will probably be serve well.

You did say "hover with throttle left over" though didn't you ;-)

Cheers,

Reply to
s.millington

Although it has a very high cool factor :-)..... ,The OS 160 twin doesn't have the power you need for 3D. It has about the same power as the OS .120 Surpass. I had one for quite a while and I love the sound and reliability but the extra parts and friction of another cylinder cancel out the power of the increased displacement. You'll need something in the range of at least a 180 single cylinder four stroke or equivelant.

Ken Day

Reply to
Ken Day