inches to mm conversion problem...

Hi,

currently I'm building the greatplanes extra 300S .40

I'm having troubles understanding the manual when it comes down to measurements. (not used working with "inches"....

1", 5",...3/4"...etc is not a problem. (I have a conversion chart)

I have difficulties with measurements like this one:

for example : 26-1/2" .....or 5-3/8"

How should I understand this?

What would be the size in mm for 26-1/2"? (knowing that 1" = 25.4 mm)

I know it's a silly question but I really don't have a clue :-) Thanks in advance :-)

Joris.

Reply to
Joris

26.5 * 25.4

5.375 * 15.4

Reply to
Grant Edwards

It's simply 26 inches + 1/2 inch, or 26.5 inches 5 inches + 3/8 inch or 5.375 inches.

673.1 millimeters

Google will do these confersions for you!

Reply to
St. John Smythe

simply put 26.5 (inches) times 25.4 (mm/inch) into a calculator... ou

pops the answer. 673.1 mm

The 26-1/2 = 26 + 1/2 = 26.5 Its a strange notation if looked a mathematicly... but just consider the - to be a decimal and then do th fractional calculation

-- fhhuber50677

----------------------------------------------------------------------- fhhuber506771's Profile:

this thread:

fhhuber506771

It is read as "26 and 1/2 inches" it is written with the dash 26-1/2 s

the fraction is clearly visible, othewise it might be interpreted a

261/2 "two hundred sixty one divided by two"

As the above poster said simply turn the fraction into a decimal ad the whole number and convert to mm.

HT

-- Majortomsk

----------------------------------------------------------------------- Majortomski's Profile:

this thread:

Majortomski

And then plug it into this handy dandy converter

Dave

Reply to
David Bacque

Here's a link to a handy little conversion program that does mm to inches and a whole lot more.

Download the "CONVERT" program. Its FREE.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Bubb

Great little piece of software. I've been using "Convert" for a long time. Couldn't do without it now.....I don't think......

Ken Day

Reply to
Ken Day

If you don't want to be running to the computer every few minutes for a conversion (or using the calculator ), most drafting supply stores have metal rulers (cork backed ) that have inches on one edge and millimeters on the other edge. I have seen them in 12", 18" and 24" lengths (they probably have longer lengths also ).

I recently completed an AeroNaut kit (which is all in millimeters ) and the 18" ruler I have was a godsend.

Reply to
Ted Campanelli

this was indeed the problem. I thought the "-" was a "minus" So in fact, the "-" is a "+"....:-) I do prefer the "," :-) What's easier than 26,5"?

Thx for al the help!!

Reply to
Joris

Hi all --

There is a simple convert program that you can file or place on your desktop; this little gem can convert anything to anything such as furlongs per fortnights to miles per hour!

It can be downloaded from my Web Site -- got to 'Articles' and scroll down to Conversions, or I can send it to you as an attachment (it's only

453KB).

Cheers -- \_________Lyman Slack________/ \_______Flying Gators R/C___/ \_____AMA 6430 LM____ / \___Gainesville FL_____/ Visit my Web Site at

Lyman Slack

And if you don't have a program handy, Google will convert almost anything. Type it into the search box in the format:

175mm to inches

Substitute your number and units. I haven't tried to beat it, but so far I haven't found anything reasonable it can't convert...

PCPhill

Reply to
PCPhill