JR radio internal battery

It appears that having taken the radio apart you were not able to find the battery. On my X388S it is attached to the printed circuit board that is under the keypad. If you remove the back and then remove the left hand stick (without removing the leads) you should be able to peak underneath the printed circuit board to see the battery in the corner. The battery is soldered in. It is a 3V button type lithium battery with leads. Anyway since you're getting the backup error this means that your radio will not be able to hold your programming and you'll need to send it in for battery replacement. However if you're handy with electronics and have access to parts I don't see why you cannot find a 3v lithium with a housing to replace that pesky soldered in battery yourself. Best of luck, MN
KGB wrote:
Reply to
ahdofu
For what it's worth: I had two of the JR 10 first model transmitters...at least fifteen years old. A "friend" replaced both batteries in them. He bridged the lands where the unit was soldered in so it would not lose anything. He complained that the original battery had welded solder tabs to facilitate installation. The replacement batteries he got were the exact same ones (Radio Shack) and he soldered wires to them and installed them. Worked fine. A few years later, I sent them both in to JR for other service and they replaced the batteries he put in there and noted that it had been a poorly done job. I never told him as I didn't want to hurt his feelings... I still have one of the 10 transmitters and sold the other to a member of our R/C club. Both are working just fine.... Frank Schwartz
Reply to
Frank Schwartz
Not for a Tech class Ham License currently. Ya do need a license tho. After the first, the code requirements will be dropped for all classes. Time to upgrade to a General Class, I think!
Reply to
Fubar of The HillPeople
I thought about soldering leads to the battery itself but lithiums do not like direct heat so that was not an option. My local Radio Shack did have the plain battery itself but nothing with attached leads. For me finding a housing and a battery combination was the right approach. Unfotunately I was not able to find one and since I needed my radio right away I sent mine in for repairs.
Frank Schwartz wrote:
Reply to
ahdofu
Greetings
My service notes from the last one I replaced a battery in (using jumpers and soldered on leads so I did not lose the settings) I used a BR-1632 Panasonic lithium cell.
Yes the cell is under the lower circut board.
One source is DigiKey
but they have a $25 mimium order but ship as late as 7 PM central time.
Hugh
ahdofu wrote:
Reply to
Hugh Prescott
Luckey you!
Since JR will not release any details of modifications you are taking a chance here that they different versions or you were just very lucky.
At least they are made by Lucas, the darksun company.
Hugh former owner of a late 1950's era MG ZA in my college days.
Reply to
Hugh Prescott
Hugh, I checked the website and five items came up under BR-1632. The specification for all looks to be the same though. Under the description it says batt with legs. Do legs means leads? Anyway I checked for BR-1632 on the web and found it in Amazon (see link). I think I can work with something like this. Although I've already sent mine in now I know what do in future. Thanks for the info. MN

Hugh Prescott wrote:
Reply to
ahdofu
That one is the correct cell but is not the correct case.
If you are careful and can get it in place without interfering with the mechanics it will work.
The exact cell is one with two welded leads bent so the cell lays flat when soldered to the PCB.
Our supplier, DigiKey, calls it a P203ND Panasonic part number BR1632A/HA Is a 3 volt 120 MAH cell, standard design drain is 0.03 MA. 16 mm diameter and 3.2 mm high cell / 8.8 mm height with pins.
I really have no experience with soldering pins to the battery. It is really small and I think there is a considerable risk to do heat damage or shorten cell life by overheating it.
Our policy on electronic repairs is to only use the original part configuration for all repairs unless their is a recognized or necessary upgrade to return the item to service.
Reduces our liability exposure.
Hugh
ahdofu wrote:
Hugh Prescott
Well I don't want to use the existing method to attach the battery. I like the one in the Amazon instead. Inside the radio itself I'll be attaching a male conector to the leads on the printed circuit (in lieu of the existing battery) and then I simply connect the battery from Amazon to the male connector. Inside the Radio compartment there are enough room where I can use a double tape to attach the loose battery to something.
Hugh Prescott wrote:

ahdofu
My X347 transmitter wad dead, no beep and no display when powering .
First I measured voltage on BU bat , only some mV. I soldered a 1.5 V battery, using wires to the BU points, fusing th positive solder bridge. Then I removed the dead BU Bat. I removed from it the two stainless steel flags and resoldered to th new battery, a watch 2032 bat, put in on location, soldered an simultaeously rebuilt the bridge and removed the 1.5V battery. Then I switched on power, and rebooted as Ron explained me ( onl shortcut between 2 points) : long beep, I switched off. I switched on, magic, all program was there, and no need to recal . I checked it on many program steps and all I checked is good, servo neutrals and ranges, dual rates and mixes. I will fly one of these good first spring days. May be I' ve been lucky. Andr
-- frenchomebuilde ----------------------------------------------------------------------- frenchomebuilder's Profile:
this thread:
frenchomebuilder
Look the board on wich is located the BU bat. Under the piece o
plastic, is written "R" on a large vertical track. Close on the right 2 pads to be shorten. The back part of the radio must be connected Switch on power , short the points just a time, and life is at ne going on . Excuse my poor english. Andr
-- frenchomebuilde ----------------------------------------------------------------------- frenchomebuilder's Profile:
this thread:
frenchomebuilder
-----------
Thanks, Andre. I'll get the old X347 going again, thanks to you.
Your English is infinitely better than my French. Take care.
Ed Cregger
Reply to
Ed Cregger
Please let me know, so I will understand if I' ve been lucky or no
... Have a good day Andr
this thread:
frenchomebuilder

Site Timeline