Autodark helmet failure - repair attempt, need battery & holder advice

First posting in joining.welding, I hang out over rec.metal.
My cheapy autodark helmet quit recently, about 3 years old. I Googled
autodark helmet repair and did not find much, except for this thread: http://groups.google.com/group/sci.engr.joining.welding/browse_thread/thread/d5797c5c51780adf/365364320493c325?lnk=gst&q=Auto+dark+welding+helmet+failure#365364320493c325 Hence the cross posting. Summary of which is: all autodark helmets w/ solar cells also have batteries, not they have capacitors, batteries,…blah, blah, blah….Store your helmet in the sun to extend the battery life. The advice was a bit late but I placed the autodark module in a southern facing window for 9 weeks. On the first strike the autodark was noticeable slow, but was OK for the following restrikes. After a 5+ minute pause, the first strike was once again slow.
With not too much to loose, I used an Exacto knife and cut open the case seam:
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll272/aribert/machining/Autodarkopenedcr2330batt.jpg Two CR2330 batteries soldered to the board. I found a replacement battery w/ the solder leads attached http://parts.digikey.com/1/parts/1250-battery-lithium-coin-23mm-w-legs-br-2330-vcn.html but then I thought why not mount the batteries on the outside of the case as in this simulation
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll272/aribert/machining/Autodarkmodulew-externalbatt.jpg There is plenty of room between the module and my forehead for the batteries.
So should I stay w/ the 0.255mAh CR2330 battery or go with something else since I am no longer constrained by the package space? If so what? I found this puppy w/ a much higher capacity http://parts.digikey.com/1/parts/1210-battery-lithium-3v-24mm-w-pcterm-cr-2477-hfn.html but it also has a higher self discharge rate.
SO where does one go to buy a very small qty of electrical components today? In my youth I stopped by Radio Shack or Olsens Electronics for parts. I found a nice looking battery holder online (in min qtys of 12). I need a battery holder that I can bond or screw/rivet to the PP (guess) case of the autodark module. Who are some good vendors that are willing to deal in small qty orders and don’t have outrageous shipping rates?
Add pictures here
βœ–
snipped-for-privacy@c3net.net fired this volley in

mouser.com They will sell you 5MM or 1 of just _about_ anything they carry (not tape-mounted parts, usually, but any bulk stuff for sure).
LLoyd
Add pictures here
βœ–
"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote:

Digi-Key tends to be easier to deal with and have great customer service.
Add pictures here
βœ–

I use digikey a lot.
βœ–

I use both, but prefer Mouser. Shipping is usually faster and cheaper than Digi-Key, especially if your order fits in a USPS flat rate box.
--
Ned Simmons

Add pictures here
βœ–

But, this is about batteries; those can't be shipped USPS.
Some of the solder-in cells are lithium primary cells, and others are lithium rechargeable cells (VL2330 is rechargeable and BR2330 is not). Make sure you aren't using an incompatible cell to do the replacement.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Sure they can. USPS even gives advice on how to ship battery operated devices... http://www.usps.com/supportingourtroops/packagingtips.htm
--
Ned Simmons

Add pictures here
βœ–
On 8/2/2010 5:21 AM, snipped-for-privacy@c3net.net wrote:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId 62254
"This item is available at most stores."
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Eagle-Plastic-Devices/12BH441P-GR/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMv6woHFcLwJZkVi7UY5ULaa http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name$82K-ND
--Winston
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Aug 2, 7:21 am, snipped-for-privacy@c3net.net wrote:

You could also try yard sales. Kids toys and cell phones are common discards.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Mon, 2 Aug 2010 05:21:42 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@c3net.net wrote:

Digi-Key Mouser Jameco Newark
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Aug 2, 6:21 am, snipped-for-privacy@c3net.net wrote:

Same as the others, plus http://www.allelectronics.com and http://www.halted.com for surplus. Also, http://www.sciplus.com sometimes has electric/ electronic goodies for cheap, worth going to it for the entertainment. Herbach and Rademan lean more towards electromechanical stuff. With any of the surplus stuff, buy if you see what you want, it may not be there much longer.
Radio Shack has a bunch of stuff on their web site, sometimes they even have it in their stores. Most components and loose parts have been moved to a couple of sets of drawers in a dusty corner, you'll have to ask. Helps to look it up on the site first, then take the part number in, all of the places are arranged according to part numbers.
If your batteries are connected in series, you might look for a holder for a CR123, it's 6 volts out of the package, might last longer. Both Mouser and Digi-key have battery holders for both coin and tubular lithium batteries.
Stan
Add pictures here
βœ–
then take the part number in, all of the places are arranged according to part numbers. (clip) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I think most of the training that Radio Shack provides their clerks is on selling cell phones. If you try to explain something technical, or describe a needed part, you probably won't get very far. Good advice to go in with the part numbers.
Add pictures here
βœ–
When I was a kid, a RS opened within bicycle distance of me. I loved that store, and shopped there often. Anyone remember the battery of the month cards?
I bought a cell phone with a $40 rebate. The rebate never arrived. I wrote, and followed up, and still no rebate. Over the years, I've spent buckets of money at RS, but not any more. I havn't been in a RS in a couple years. They lost my trade.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Last time I was in a RS I asked the person in charge for "two double A Ni-Cads" his reply "what's that" Haven't seen a RS around here for several years, they changed to "The Source" then disappeared. Gerry :-)} London, Canada
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Mon, 2 Aug 2010 13:27:48 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@prolynx.com wrote:

CR123 is 3 volts.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Yup, you're right. Thinking of this pup: http://www.batteryjunction.com/duracell-28l.html Briefly had a green laser that used it.
Stan
Add pictures here
βœ–
I got 10 CR2025 shipping incl for $1.95 on Ebay. Good batts too. JR Dweller in the cellar
snipped-for-privacy@c3net.net wrote:

http://groups.google.com/group/sci.engr.joining.welding/browse_thread/thread/d5797c5c51780adf/365364320493c325?lnk=gst&q=Auto+dark+welding+helmet+failure#365364320493c325
http://parts.digikey.com/1/parts/1250-battery-lithium-coin-23mm-w-legs-br-2330-vcn.html
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll272/aribert/machining/Autodarkmodulew-externalbatt.jpg
http://parts.digikey.com/1/parts/1210-battery-lithium-3v-24mm-w-pcterm-cr-2477-hfn.html
βœ–
On 08/02/2010 07:21 AM, snipped-for-privacy@c3net.net wrote:

I buy lots of stuff from BG Micro.
http://www.bgmicro.com
One battery holder, not necessarily the one you want:
http://www.bgmicro.com/BAT1053.aspx
technomaNge
--
"gormless fuckchop" in residence.

Add pictures here
βœ–
Comrade technomaNge wrote:

I always wonder why companies provide a link on an image to open up another window showing the same size image.
Jon
Add pictures here
βœ–
Jon Danniken wrote:

Some open a smaller photo, which is even worse! I'm in the middle of fixing a website with a lot of broken links, and trying to clean up the images. All have been reduced several times, and have a lot of artifacts which make most of the thumbnails useless. They didn't keep the original photos, and some were taken with a cell phone and emailed by their customers.
Add pictures here
βœ–