Kadet Senior Split Wing Help

Hi,

My kids and I are building a Kadet Senior (not the ARF) as their first plane. I would like to build the wing such that I can take it apart for transportation. I don't mind adding a little weight.

I can probably engineer something that will work, but if anyone has alrady done this and has a plan or idea I'd like to know about it.

Anybody have input?

Thanks Mark

Reply to
RC Pilot 1

I did this once with a 80" ws Dynaflight Chipmunk. I built the wing with an aluminum tube that fit inside a built in socket in each wing half. Then the wing halves were held together by two small aluminum rivitts thru the plyuwood root ribs and then secured with "cotter type" keys thru a hole in each rivit. This was assembled first as a single unit and then bolted to the fuse in the normal fashion.

This was easier to do than it is to try to describe. The key point here is there were no mods made to the fuse at all. This held up fine right up till I forgot I had a 5 cell battery pack, checked the flightpack battery with my trusty digital meter, saw it read 5.3 and just knew all was well. Wrong, the plane made it about 60 seconds into the flight and the 5 cell battery went way dead. Oh well live and learn.

Reply to
Gordo

Someone makes kits. I believe the name is Gator RC Products. It's a

6061-T6 aluminum center tube and a fiber sleeve. You build the sleeve into your wing and the tube carries the moment. You need to do a good job coupling the spar to the tube if you want it to be strong and light, and you may have space issues on a wing with dihedral.
Reply to
Tim Wescott

The ARF Senior uses a flat aluminum bar with a little angle in it for dihedral (slightly V-shaped). This slides into slots between the front spars. You might want to download the ARF assy manual from the Sig website too see haw it all goes together.

CR

RC Pilot 1 wrote:

Reply to
Charle & Peggy Robinson

The ARF Senior uses a flat aluminum bar with a little angle in it for dihedral (slightly V-shaped). This slides into slots between the front spars. You might want to download the ARF assy manual from the Sig website too see haw it all goes together.

CR

RC Pilot 1 wrote:

Reply to
Charle & Peggy Robinson

The ARF Senior uses a flat aluminum bar with a little angle in it for dihedral (slightly V-shaped). This slides into slots between the front spars. You might want to download the ARF assy manual from the Sig website too see haw it all goes together.

CR

RC Pilot 1 wrote:

Reply to
Charle & Peggy Robinson