Lottery Funding for Club?

Hi all,

We as a club has taken the first steps towards buying the land which we currently use to fly model aircraft and helicopters. The first steps being the decision to buy, we are now contemplating the next steps which include funding. We are approximating £30,000 for the land, with further funding in the future for a clubhouse, electric, water, workshop (Which would include the tools required to make, repair models etc.) Future investment would be approx £75,000.

The club currently has about 110 members and we envisage this substantially increasing due to the additional available facilities as well as the facilities available for flying but as we have found alot of the older members like being a member of a club and enjoy building but unfortunately it is beyond there physical abilities to fly (Eyesight etc.)

My question is to you all out there, is there anyone who has had any dealings with raising the necessary funding for the same?

Currently we are considering, National Lottery (Not sure which award to claim for, we would very much appreciate some advice), talking to the local council authorities for grants (Again not sure what grants are available, we would very much appreciate some advice), talking to local businesses for sponsorship, also fund raising events such as organising bring and buys, auctions etc.

As much advice as possible would be very much appreciated.

Thanks alot

Chris

Reply to
Chris

WE tired getting money for our diving club some years ago, form the lottery.

It seams, from memory, you have to show it benefits all, not just your members, so get to setting up some fly in days for the whole country to attend, ok not all will, but if you can prove that you offered your half way there.

Also set up some public days for them to see you fly, making models, possibly stands with cheap chuck and go models, etc.

This to will help to show all can attend, and use the site.

Sorry but that all I can remember apart from the fact that we didn't get any.

Wishing you all the best of luck

Vaughn

PPS don't forget to post the dates of your fly in ;-)

substantially

authorities

Reply to
Vaughn

Reply to
Mike Gordon

75,000 divided by 110 is only about 75 quid a head.

I would say 'lifelong membership to the over 50's for 100 quid. Pay once, always a member'! BUT insurance is extra if you want to fly.

I would organise hat every member donate something to the cause - raid those old drawers, and appoint a member to sell the lot on Ebay.

You would be surprised what it can all be sold for - all those tatty old trainers, 60's diesel engines, 50's Wakefield plans etc.

Then rent out the land for the odd car boot sale.

It will come...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Not according to my calculator it isn't!! Try 681 quid instead!!

John.

Reply to
John Duxbury

substantially

authorities

Sport England are the people to talk to. They are responsible for the hand out's from NL. Cheers John.

Reply to
JB

Ah yes. Those little things like decimal pints... Or was it points . *hic*.

Sorry!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I cannot see that lottery funding would ever be given to a model club frankly.

Not unless it was designed by Tracy Emin.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Thanks John for your enthusiasm, just a little something to surprise you, we have already previously received funding to enable us to put a gate system into the field, this was approx £4,000. Just shows that rather than laying down and suggesting I don't think we'll get anything, is the wrong thoughts, you need to ask. (The old saying you don't get unless you ask)

I would like to thank everyone else's thoughts. We are now looking for soem fundraising ideas and again if anyone has any really goods ideas I would very much appreciate them.

Kind regards

Chris

Reply to
Chris

Chris, You have chosen to see only that which is before your eyes :-( The writer of the comments you responded to chose to cut and not sign!!! Check back and you will see that I made a pos' comment and not the neg' ........John.

Reply to
JB

And by the way< Leo is always starting a post with someone else as the writer JB wrote: John Duxbury wrote: Just look and you will see!

Reply to
JB

Hi John,

You are right and I will publicly appolgise now.

Kind regards

Chris

Reply to
Chris

With your membership levels it is quite easy to raise your own funds it seems to me. I bet there are not many Golf Clubs around with annual fees less than what would be asked of each member to underwrite for the Club. Better to do this than expect some hand out and then earn your own respect for what you achieve.

Most Governments (local especially) welcome any organised activity which mops up the young in years and the young at heart and will, if convinced you are on the right track, support loan arrangements for the development process.

To gain wide public support, why not put together a Power Point presentation showing what you do best ; models and the characters who fly them, charts of cash flow expectations from current membership and fund raising activity, stats on membership ages, description on trades, professions and other useful data about your members and many other local bits of info that ought to go over well. The scope for a good presentation is huge and only limited by your imagination and enthusiasm. Make sure you burn plenty of disks and be certain they reach your target audience and your own members. Above get in the face of your local Govt.

Good luck. Feel free to e-mail me for other info which may be of help.

DN

Reply to
DN

Are you certain you will get planning permission for flying and for buildings on the site. Building in green belt can be tricky although for sport or recreation can be allowed.

Regards Peter

presentation

Reply to
Peter Seddon

I think the 'tetmprary building' is allowable - e.g. wooden hut. If not for habitation.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No, I am sure you are not correct. Virtually any self standing building is considered a development that requires planning permission. Agricultural buildings (but here again not all) are exempt. UK Planning law is very complex and I am sure a planning expert will give a string of other exceptions!!

The local planning officers are generally very helpful and will give guidance. Better to go that route than it all end in tears.

However what some do is to ignore the rules and erect the building as the law does not require planning permission before a development is carried out. The risk is that a Planning Enforcement Notice could be issued and this 'forces' removal. However PEF's are only issued after gentle persuasion to try and get the owner to seek planning permission or after permission has been refused and the owner refuses to remove.

Regards Peter

Reply to
Peter Seddon

Certainly planning permission is NOT required for garden sheds as they are condsidered temporary and may be removed easily.

If the land is agruculturally designated, agricultural things are more or less allowed. However I suspect a change of use woukd be required if teh main use of the land was the practicing of a sport or recreations, and that the type of construction permitted would be in line with that. I.e. you can't expect a golf course to not have a club house etc. Or a sheep lea not to have a shepherds hut, or a fishing club not to have a pond...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

My club are one of the "sprinkling" of clubs that own their own site. We recently published a "History" of the club on our website which describes the process of aquiring our flying sites (there are 2) and the trials we endured to obtain planning permission. It makes for salutory reading but shows just what can be achieved with determination.

Colin Hooper

Most correct :-)

But funny thing is if the building is far enough away from the house, and is not residential, almost any size goes.

Even in your own home garden, where you are considered KING, the Council have guidance on what they consider to be correct:

No Shed bigger than 8 x 6, and then only 2 of these per site.

It may not be the Building regs that kill the idea but the Council, its best to ask both well before any commitment is got into ;-)

I still hope all goes to plan Vaughn

Reply to
Vaughn

A very Interesting read Colin. You certainly had an up hill fight on your hands, glad you won out. I used to live in Chesham many years ago so know the area quite well.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Lambert