Lottery Funding for Club?

Hi all,
We as a club has taken the first steps towards buying the land which we
currently
use to fly model aircraft and helicopters. The first steps being the
decision to buy,
we are now contemplating the next steps which include funding. We are
approximating
£30,000 for the land, with further funding in the future for a clubhouse,
electric, water,
workshop (Which would include the tools required to make, repair models
etc.) Future
investment would be approx £75,000.
The club currently has about 110 members and we envisage this substantially
increasing
due to the additional available facilities as well as the facilities
available for flying but as
we have found alot of the older members like being a member of a club and
enjoy
building but unfortunately it is beyond there physical abilities to fly
(Eyesight etc.)
My question is to you all out there, is there anyone who has had any
dealings with
raising the necessary funding for the same?
Currently we are considering, National Lottery (Not sure which award to
claim for, we would
very much appreciate some advice), talking to the local council authorities
for grants (Again
not sure what grants are available, we would very much appreciate some
advice), talking to
local businesses for sponsorship, also fund raising events such as
organising bring and buys,
auctions etc.
As much advice as possible would be very much appreciated.
Thanks alot
Chris
Reply to
Chris
WE tired getting money for our diving club some years ago, form the lottery.
It seams, from memory, you have to show it benefits all, not just your members, so get to setting up some fly in days for the whole country to attend, ok not all will, but if you can prove that you offered your half way there.
Also set up some public days for them to see you fly, making models, possibly stands with cheap chuck and go models, etc.
This to will help to show all can attend, and use the site.
Sorry but that all I can remember apart from the fact that we didn't get any.
Wishing you all the best of luck
Vaughn
PPS don't forget to post the dates of your fly in ;-)
substantially
authorities
Reply to
Vaughn
The best fund raiser our club has come up with is our annual auction. Members donate gift wrapped "Prizes" to the auction. These can be anything - not just modeling stuff. Some items are treasures and others are well junk. We then auction off each item sight unseen to the highest bidder. At that time it is unwrapped and the lucky bidder shares his delight or groan with the rest of us. The member who spends the most money at the auction gets the special made cake and recognition. We raised $1300.00 last year - $1100.00 the year before that. I won one bid for $120.00 - when I unwrapped it there was a box of apples and a half dozen 10 X 6 props. We raised some much needed funds and had a good time doing it. This works best when it's a "family" sort of thing.
Vaughn wrote:
Reply to
Mike Gordon
75,000 divided by 110 is only about 75 quid a head.
I would say 'lifelong membership to the over 50's for 100 quid. Pay once, always a member'! BUT insurance is extra if you want to fly.
I would organise hat every member donate something to the cause - raid those old drawers, and appoint a member to sell the lot on Ebay.
You would be surprised what it can all be sold for - all those tatty old trainers, 60's diesel engines, 50's Wakefield plans etc.
Then rent out the land for the odd car boot sale.
It will come...
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher
Not according to my calculator it isn't!! Try 681 quid instead!!
John.
Reply to
John Duxbury
substantially
authorities
Sport England are the people to talk to. They are responsible for the hand out's from NL. Cheers John.
Reply to
JB
Ah yes. Those little things like decimal pints... Or was it points . *hic*.
Sorry!
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher
I cannot see that lottery funding would ever be given to a model club frankly.
Not unless it was designed by Tracy Emin.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher
Thanks John for your enthusiasm, just a little something to surprise you, we have already previously received funding to enable us to put a gate system into the field, this was approx £4,000. Just shows that rather than laying down and suggesting I don't think we'll get anything, is the wrong thoughts, you need to ask. (The old saying you don't get unless you ask)
I would like to thank everyone else's thoughts. We are now looking for soem fundraising ideas and again if anyone has any really goods ideas I would very much appreciate them.
Kind regards
Chris
Reply to
Chris
Chris, You have chosen to see only that which is before your eyes :-( The writer of the comments you responded to chose to cut and not sign!!! Check back and you will see that I made a pos' comment and not the neg' ........John.
Reply to
JB
And by the way< Leo is always startJohn Duxbury wrote: Just look and you will see!
Reply to
JB
Hi John,
You are right and I will publicly appolgise now.
Kind regards
Chris
Reply to
Chris
With your membership levels it is quite easy to raise your own funds it seems to me. I bet there are not many Golf Clubs around with annual fees less than what would be asked of each member to underwrite for the Club. Better to do this than expect some hand out and then earn your own respect for what you achieve.
Most Governments (local especially) welcome any organised activity which mops up the young in years and the young at heart and will, if convinced you are on the right track, support loan arrangements for the development process.
To gain wide public support, why not put together a Power Point presentation showing what you do best ; models and the characters who fly them, charts of cash flow expectations from current membership and fund raising activity, stats on membership ages, description on trades, professions and other useful data about your members and many other local bits of info that ought to go over well. The scope for a good presentation is huge and only limited by your imagination and enthusiasm. Make sure you burn plenty of disks and be certain they reach your target audience and your own members. Above get in the face of your local Govt.
Good luck. Feel free to e-mail me for other info which may be of help.
DN
Reply to
DN
Are you certain you will get planning permission for flying and for buildings on the site. Building in green belt can be tricky although for sport or recreation can be allowed.
Regards Peter
presentation
Reply to
Peter Seddon
I think the 'tetmprary building' is allowable - e.g. wooden hut. If not for habitation.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher
No, I am sure you are not correct. Virtually any self standing building is considered a development that requires planning permission. Agricultural buildings (but here again not all) are exempt. UK Planning law is very complex and I am sure a planning expert will give a string of other exceptions!!
The local planning officers are generally very helpful and will give guidance. Better to go that route than it all end in tears.
However what some do is to ignore the rules and erect the building as the law does not require planning permission before a development is carried out. The risk is that a Planning Enforcement Notice could be issued and this 'forces' removal. However PEF's are only issued after gentle persuasion to try and get the owner to seek planning permission or after permission has been refused and the owner refuses to remove.
Regards Peter
Reply to
Peter Seddon
Certainly planning permission is NOT required for garden sheds as they are condsidered temporary and may be removed easily.
If the land is agruculturally designated, agricultural things are more or less allowed. However I suspect a change of use woukd be required if teh main use of the land was the practicing of a sport or recreations, and that the type of construction permitted would be in line with that. I.e. you can't expect a golf course to not have a club house etc. Or a sheep lea not to have a shepherds hut, or a fishing club not to have a pond...
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher
My club are one of the "sprinkling" of clubs that own their own site. We recently published a "History" of the club on our website which describes the process of aquiring our flying sites (there are 2) and the trials we endured to obtain planning permission. It makes for salutory reading but shows just what can be achieved with determination.
CH
Reply to
Colin Hooper
Most correct :-)
But funny thing is if the building is far enough away from the house, and is not residential, almost any size goes.
Even in your own home garden, where you are considered KING, the Council have guidance on what they consider to be correct:
No Shed bigger than 8 x 6, and then only 2 of these per site.
It may not be the Building regs that kill the idea but the Council, its best to ask both well before any commitment is got into ;-)
I still hope all goes to plan Vaughn
Reply to
Vaughn
A very Interesting read Colin. You certainly had an up hill fight on your hands, glad you won out. I used to live in Chesham many years ago so know the area quite well.
Nick
Reply to
Nick Lambert