Metal gear servos !!

Pros ? cons ?

Thx for any help.

Reply to
James Overman

Metal gears are stronger, BUT, they do wear out so you need to keep an eye on the gear play.

Reply to
Hall Grover

Is there anyway I can slow down the wear on the gears?

Would you say that metal gear servos last longer then non metal servers?

Just to tell the story. I have been flying for a little over 4 years now. I have got way past the training phase. But I crashed my world models P-51 lol. It was stupid I was inverted about 10 feet off from the runway and pulled the stick the wrong way. But lesson learned :)

But now the only plane that I have to fly Is my trainer. Its a PT-40 with about 300 flights on it. I have gone through 2 sets of tires on it and wore out a O.S. 40 LA. So I put my O.S. 50 FX on it :) and man that thing moved good. I went flying a few days ago. Was doing great, I came out of this fast dive pulled out of it and went in to a fast bank. The plane went into the bank an never came out, and crashed pretty hard. I lost the plane.

After getting the plane, some ppl at the LAF and I were looking over the plane. We found that the alliron servo gears stripped. It was the standard Futaba 3004. That I got when I bought the plane.

So I am looking into metal gear servos to see, if this might fix that problem.....

Plz forgive spelling/grammar I never was good at writing.

Thx for the help again.

Reply to
James Overman

Ok thanks all for the help. After thinking about it your probably right, it was probably flutter then crash damage. O well not to upset about the plane you couldn't ask for more from a trainer :)

Reply to
James Overman

But then again I have seen aileron flutter destroy a servo in seconds.

Reply to
Lyman Slack