new airplane

My 7 year old grandson and I received a model airplane for Christmas. It is a model for beginners, since I have never flown a RC plane before. Called a 'Super Cub'.

We (I) tried it once and immediately destroyed the prop, firewall, and cowl. They have now been replaced and the plane was flown by someone else and works OK.

Anyway, I purchased a simulator for my PC, with software. Hopefully, this will teach me how to control the airplane.

My question is how reliable is this simulator as to flying the real airplane? The simulator is an E_SKY. Made in China of course.

Thanks.

Reply to
newman

On Tue, 08 Jan 2008 19:28:41 GMT, "newman" wrote in :

I started with the Dave Brown simulator many years ago.

It was very crude compared to today's sims, but it taught me a LOT.

I'm sure you will learn a lot, too.

I'm not familiar E_Sky, but it should help you with the basic attitudes and actions you need to take off, fly around, and land.

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

A free simulator program is called FMS. It has the Super Cub on it as a specific model. Many who own the Super Cub say that it is the very best electric trainer available. Somehow, I also have crashed mine many, many times. It isn't as easy as it looks, at least not for me. Rich

Reply to
rich

The main thing to remember is........whenever you're in trouble, gain some height....no one ever crashed into the sky!!!!

:-)

Trefor

Reply to
Trefor

Thanks Rich. I had downloaded and used the FMS simulator. However, I wanted an actual control box that was similar to the real one that came with the plane. The simulator that I ordered comes with a control box (USB connect) and software. The software is the same FMS software that I already had although it may be a different version. So I actually just paid for the control box. It is from ESKY and cost about $20 not including shipping. I could actually fly (not land) using the keyboard controls. However, I continue to crash using control box. I'll keep trying.

Reply to
newman

On Tue, 08 Jan 2008 22:06:57 GMT, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and "newman" instead replied:

Keep up your air speed. A classic mistake of beginners is to believe you have to slow down like an automobile when you land. You don't slow down until well after you are on the ground. Even if you are only an inch over the ground, you are still flying.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

Thts teh spirit!

I spent a whole winter doing boring circuits and landings on the sim..I wont say I haven't crashed since, but on a reasonably docile plane, I selom do anything bad at least in calm weather.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

newman.... Yes, the best thing to do is to "fly" the simulator with the very same Control/TX that you will use with the plane. After I messed around with the keyboard controls ( very easy to fly that way, I thought) I bought the cable to use my DX6 TX on FMS.

With regard to crashing when you use the control box..and not crashing when using the keyboard..... it may well be that one or more of your controls have to reversed or adjusted with-in the Calibrate section of FMS. I had Up as Down and Left as Right for a while. I also had my rudder set up on the aileron stick..(which was OK).. regards, Rich

Reply to
rich

There was a guy that was selling cables to hook your tx thru the buddy box jack into the old style control port which name escapes me right now. 232? Basically the joystick port.

Here is his Ebay store:

I bought one some time ago, worked great, and came with an FMS disk.

Reply to
Fubar of The HillPeople

On Tue, 8 Jan 2008 21:38:36 -0000, "Trefor" wrote in :

So long as the trouble is not a deadstick.

Dead stick--stick down!

Pulling back too hard on the stick when the engine goes out can lead to a stall or stall/spin (especially when trying to turn toward the field or a better landing area).

Dead stick--stick down!

Pushing the nose down a bit will keep your airspeed up.

Keeping your airspeed up means that you can make some turns to position yourself for a better landing.

Dead stick--stick down!

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

The same guys also sells cables that hook up thru a usb port - I have two, & once you get your controls calibrated,work very well.

Reply to
Paintballmavin

Reply to
newman

I personally havent used E_SKY but i know that alot of the simulators out there are extremely good! I have used some of them and they allow you to use your transmitter so you get used to it. Im not sure how yours is but most of them are very realistic and will improve your flying very well. They are however expensive...

Reply to
Kevin Benton

INMO you have a very small chance of leanring to fly just from a sim. Suggest you seek out a local club that can provide a buddy box and get some dual time with a an instructor. Actual hands on is the only way to go, you get no "pucker factor" from a sim. Oh, one more thing, A super cub is not a trainer. Its is docile enough but requires a lot of rudder and aileron control to fly IMHO. Find a club and have some fun!

Ted

I believe you might be right. There is a field not too far from my house and the people there have been pretty helpful. One actually flew the plane for me and it worked very well.

Tried to fly it once more myself. Takes off really nice and flies for about

30 seconds before I crashed it. This time only broke the prop.

Thanks for all replies.

INMO you have a very small chance of leanring to fly just from a sim. Suggest you seek out a local club that can provide a buddy box and get some dual time with a an instructor. Actual hands on is the only way to go, you get no "pucker factor" from a sim. Oh, one more thing, A super cub is not a trainer. Its is docile enough but requires a lot of rudder and aileron control to fly IMHO. Find a club and have some fun!

trailer