New Pilot Report

Hello Group,

Just a follow up on my pilot training. Just to recap, I never flew before, just spent 15+ hours on a flight sim called FMS. I bought a ParkZone Spitfire, flew it once, lucked out and crashed with minimal damage. Then bought a HobbyZone Super Cub.

I have been keeping a flight log, and it lists;

29 flights total. Two of those were 1 minute "problem" flights, the rest average 9 minutes long. 3 slow crashes, only damage was a cracked cowl which I taped up. A few dings in the foam where I didn't protect it with tape. Busted one leg off my prototype landing gear when I ran out of electrons on final and hit short in the rough. That was this morning.

Most of my landings have been plopping it into low bushes, but recently I found a dirt strip and have made about 5 ROG takeoffs, with one ground loop. Also made wheel landings, most pretty bouncy and too hot - gotta work on my approach. One today was real nice, probably by accident.

Finally started doing loops and hammerhead stalls. I have found flying low and slow for landing the biggest challenge. I need to be able to put the Super Cub exactly where I want it with no mistakes before I get the Spit out again.

I am reall comfortable flying now, no jitters and am able to stay cool during near crash situations and figure out how to get it pointing "up" again.

The Super Cub is fairly large for a Park Flyer at 48" wing span. It handles a little wind, and I've been learning to fly in some gusty conditions. It can catch you off guard when a gust tosses the Cub down in the middle of a low and slow landing approach turn.

I am a tinkerer, and have added some weight to it with mods. I built a big battery tray so I can run a bigger cell and also move the cell around to adjust the CG. Some fiberglass reinforcing and packing tape. Also added an internal bay for camera or the drop module. Also made a plywood/velcro plate on the nose to attach landing gear, which used to attach to the stock battery box.

Anyways, couldn't have done it without all the tips and advice from this group- THANKS!!!!!!

Larry

Reply to
Larry

Ed Forsythe

On Sun, 05 Aug 2007 13:36:34 -0700, Larry wrote in :

You're most welcome.

Thanks for checking in with "the rest of the story."

Congratulations--it sounds like you're having fun! :o)

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ