New To R/C, need recom...

..I started building several planes and want to learn how to fly with remote without any instructor...can anyone recommend a flight simulator or necessary instruction etc, thanx, ken

Reply to
KenKnapp

I hope that at least one of your planes is a "trainer", do not try to learn with a war bird or other low stability aircraft.

Ed

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote:

Reply to
Ed Smega

A glider is a pretty good way to learn on your own, as I did. Be prepared to have some "different" things happen. There is actually a was in Microsoft's Flight Simulator to master one of the harder issues with R/C. You can actually take off while viewing the plan from the control tower. The key skill to learn is how to control the plane as it is flying at you. The software does a great job at this.

Reply to
Joe D.

I recall my first flight.

With the engine running (.049), I hand launched it.

Straight into the dirt. It went into the dirt, 4 more times, before I decided to change the engine trust line. Up elevator did nothing, to keep it out of the dirt.

I got many flights off it, with the trust line set, according to the plans.

my 2 cents

Reply to
xman Charlie

I've been using GreatPlanes RealFlight Simulator for several months now. I'm totally new at this. I was able to solo on my third flight, without the use of a buddy box and instructor. It's a little pricey, and it takes a bit to get used to the view, but helped me greatly. I haven't seen any other simulator programs, but I think this one is worth the money.

----- Original Message ----- From: Newsgroups: rec.models.rc.air Sent: Sunday, August 03, 2003 11:43 AM Subject: New To R/C, need recom...

Reply to
Kent Chaput

Realflight G2 got my flight to crash ratio down from 1:1 to 1:3 or better - strongly recommended if you use it not as a game to have fun crashing models but as a way to train yourself to land - flying is easy, ladning is hard.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

A simulator is a good first step. I got the free FMS simulator and purchased a transmitter to computer hookup.

is a very adequate setup that helps coordinate your eye-hand-transmitter controls. The simulator also trains you to fly when the plane is moving away from you versus flying towards you.

I also highly recommend the CoPilot by FMA.

success with it has prompted others in my club to use it with great success. The CoPilot will get you out of many novice flight mistakes. Just let go of the sticks and the plane will right itself and fly straight and level. Once you get enough flying time with the CoPilot start cranking down the gain so that the CoPilot has less control authority. In the end you will be flying on your own.

Reply to
Marlowe

I also highly reccommend the Great Planes RealFlight G2 flight simulator. It's $199.99 and worth every penny. They also make a "Lite" version that goes for $129.99. You can read more about it at

Brian Gaither

Agre 100%. You want a plane that can fly itself while you think what to do next, and the realflight Sim is an abosolute must I reckon - even WITH instruction.

I'd say every club should have one, and test every novice to be able to do the test schedule on that before they even touch a real one.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Thanx for all the input...there is an AMA club several towns down. I've sent emails and tried phone but no contact yet. I will seek membership soon, I like the idea of the insurance... I've checked out allot of Simulators and like the Real Fight maybe in a couple of weeks I can afford it. Mean while I'm building several models just for the experience of different materials. Is there a large scale version of the wright brothers plane anywhere??? I don't want to fly it but as a display model. I have one, 24 inch w/s but would like something in the range of say 4 or 5 ft. Been watching ebay. I enjoy the group, gained allot of material/information. Thanx again, ken

Reply to
KenKnapp