newbie request

Hello,
I've been wanting to get into RC flying for a while, finally have the time and a little bit of money. Obviously want to start slow, was hoping someone
could recommend a trainer package to get a feel for things. I'm tempted to buy one of these $200 kits at the hobby store but have a feeling that's not the way to go. I don't want to waste money or end up with something that leads me to hating the hobby. I think I would prefer powered flight Vs. a glider at first, but would appreciate thoughts on that as well. I have done some control line flying and tagged along on some RC flights so I am not totally inexperienced.
Obviously I am new to this NG as well, so if there is a FAQ that covers this sort of question please point me in the direction. Websites for necomers would be good also. Any help is appreciated.
Rick
rgmjr321 AT yahoo DOT com
Hi,
There are a number of basically equivalent selections to chose from. Beginners in our club have had extremely good luck with the Hobbico Avistar trainer. This model is a .40 sized high wing trainer that can be purchased as an ARF with a pre-installed OS engine and Futaba 4 channel radio for about $300.00. You need about $100.00 worth of accessories to be ready to go (fuel, fuel pump, glow starter, etc.), but that's about it! Hard to go wrong for that price!
John
Ricky wrote:

Get with a local club. Your chances of learning to fly without crashing your plane are greatly increased. Clubs usually have instructors who are happy to teach you, free. Besides, it's a lot more fun with others.
I DO NOT recommend the park flyers or slow flyers TOY planes. They break easily, usually don't fly all that well, and can actually teach you bad habits you'll have to shed when you graduate to a REAL R/C model.
Clubs and local hobby shops may have used trainer equipment you can buy at reduced prices. Even if you have to go with all new stuff, you can get a GOOD trainer setup for around $300. Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Dr1Driver) wrote in message

Hmmmmmm......I thought my Yard Stick was a real RC plane......lets take a look....got wings...tail....rudder...servos...reciever....flies...goes up and down left and right...lands......So.. ummmm..hey DR1Driver let me in on your secret of making my Park Flyer into a real RC Plane??????

It'll never hsppen, it's FUBARed beyond all hope of redemption. :) Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"
hey
--
Dan
KE6ERB

someone
not
done
this
Thanks for the advice. I'm in Austin, TX where I know there are a few good clubs but you know how intimidating it can be to just show up, not knowing anyone. I was hoping I could just become a master at the HS parking lot! (kidding)
being a newbie myself, I'd recommend finding a good club first and then seeing if anyone is selling a complete startup set (plane and electronics) cheap. You'd be surprised how cheaply some of the guys will part with their currently unused trainers. Lew

time
good

Everyone starts that way. Just jump in, grab someone and say, "I'm a newbie, and I want to learn to fly. What can you tell me about good equipment and instruction?" Hint at joining ($$$), too. <grin> Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"
http://beginnerparkflyers.nexuswebs.net/index.html
I can't speak for all clubs, but I think I can speak for most including mine when I say that if you wander in and even HINT that you are a newbie thinking of getting into the hobby, you will immediately be shown around the field and given all the help you could want. DR1 is absolutely correct; you need to begin your modeling hobby at a club field. As a group, we modelers are gentle to the newbies as long as you don't call us "old farts". Farts is OK, just don't say old :-)
MJC

good
Sounds like you might enjoy one of the Firebird or Aerobird planes - they're considerably less than $200, fly somewhat slow and easy, and they're sort of a cross between powered flight and gliding. They have very decent flight times, particulary if you invest in two batteries. They're tough as nails, too. Mine has taken several smacks, including one full-throttle into a brick wall (ouch).
Regrettably (with the Firebird), none of the radio equipment will transport up to the next plane, but you can re-use the battery and charger in the right plane.

someone
not
done
this

Rick, I would agree BykrDan on the Firebird...they fly great and are tough. I started out on the Outlaw and moved onto the Firebird Commander. Both are 2 ch and easy to fly....The Outlaw cost $50.00......The Commander about $110.00. I agree with the rest that if you have a club near by, join it and find some help. Nitro or electric its your choice. If you wanna "do it yourself" then start with a 2 ch R/C and when mastered: Get a decent radio, gear, 3 ch electric ParkFlyer and have some fun.
Good Luck Mike
Ricky-
Also, you should ckeckpout the website spadtothebone.com. Spad(Simple plastic airplane designs)are made of a corrugated plastic sheet material called Coroplast. There are many designs and free plans for durable, inexpensive, and easy to build planes at this site. The Debonaire is the Spad trainer.
Swede

I had good luck with hobbico superstar select. I started into the hobby purchasing realflight g2 simulator software, trained on it for a month or two until i could land in 10-15mph winds, then bought the plane. The plane handled just like the simulator. Everyone sez to get an instructor, while that is a good idea, it isn't mandatory...

this
Just be carefull if you walk into a commercial model shop. Don't say you're a newbie or they may have a fashion of selling you all in excess of what you really need. ......You need this and....err..... you could use that... and how about this. You get the idea.They are not all bad, just some. Avoid the supermarket type of outfit. Get to talk definately to the guys that have been doing it some time cos' thy will know exactly what you will need.
swede wrote:

awesome idea... made me remember one of my planes I had purchased when I started flying...
the company builds something ( IIRC) The Airmadillo... ( was in Mandeville La.) simple square aluminum tubing with the coroplast wing and tail/rudder assy.the radio box was a fuel tank with the back cut off. VERY TOUGH plane.. a cohart flew the plane directly into his truck and did more damage to the truck than the plane ( broke the plastic spinner the truck had a huge dent in the left rear quarter panel that reqired replacement... Dent Dr. couldnt fix it)
not pretty but tough as hell...
Scot D

someone
not
done
this
Just wanted to thank you guys for all the great suggestions. Seems to be a great newsgroup, though I don't understand most of it yet. Hope to soon!
Have a good weekend.
Rick