Newsgroup Ending

My verizon service is ending access to this newsgroup (rumered for somtime now). Does anyone know of a new service/location for this stuff?

On Tue, 01 Sep 2009 16:07:41 +0000, Lee B wrote:

I hear names go by -- the one that sticks is "supernews".
Have you tried a web search? "USENET server" or "USENET service provider" may get you some hits.
There's Google Groups, but if you go there you just become one with the spam problem.
--
www.wescottdesign.com

I subscribe through Supernews (now owned and operated by Giganews).
I also have an Astraweb account ($10 for 25 gigabytes, no time limit--goes a long way with text-only newsgroups!).
This page lists some free news servers as well as lots and lots of pay-for-play:
http://www.big-8.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id qs:news_providers
I try to keep the page up to date, but there is no guarantee that all of the links work.
                    Marty
--
Big-8 newsgroups: humanities.*, misc.*, news.*, rec.*, sci.*, soc.*, talk.*
See http://www.big-8.org for info on how to add or remove newsgroups.

There are plenty of independent news carriers, some of them are even free.
I've been using http://www.eternal-september.org/ since they were previously known as http://www.motzarella.org . The service has been excellent. The only caveat is they don't carry binary groups, but for those of us who are discussion-group users it works perfectly, and costs nothing....
Cheers
Lee B wrote:

The following brief list of free text news servers is in alphabetical order without editorial comment. It's a short list. Check out the servers and decide for yourself which one is best for you. No one knows what works for you better than you do.
AIOE http://news.aioe.org/
Albasani http://albasani.net/index.html.en
CNNTP http://www.cnntp.org/cnntp
ETT http://news.ett.com.ua /
Eternal September http://eternal-september.org
Solani http://news.solani.org /
Tornevall http://news.tornevall.net /
Usenet4all http://www.usenet4all.se (blocks all posts from Google)
X-Privat http://www.x-privat.org
SunSITE.dk http://dotsrc.org/usenet
Mixmin nntp://news.mixmin.net Mixmin nntps://news.mixmin.net
A resourceful site with more information about free NNTP servers: http://www.nntpeng.willemijns.com
--
Black Dragon

Let my petty body exhausted,

Nice list. I've cut it into the wiki:
http://www.big-8.org/dokuwiki/doku.php
                Marty
--
Big-8 newsgroups: humanities.*, misc.*, news.*, rec.*, sci.*, soc.*, talk.*
See http://www.big-8.org for info on how to add or remove newsgroups.
Martin X. Moleski, SJ wrote:

Excellent.
It was gleaned from alt.free.newsservers. Can't really recommend that group for reading to casual users though, it's usually full of k0okery and requires diligent use of a kill file.
--
Black Dragon

How should they answer?

Thanks for sharing the wealth in such a usable format-- very much appreciated!
                    Marty
--
Big-8 newsgroups: humanities.*, misc.*, news.*, rec.*, sci.*, soc.*, talk.*
See http://www.big-8.org for info on how to add or remove newsgroups.
Lee B wrote:

The correct answer is (has been posted here many time not so long ago):
news.eternal-september.org
They require free registration though.
Lee B Wrote: > My verizon service is ending access to this newsgroup (rumered for > somtime

Just Google rec.models.rc.air and it will take you there. That is where I am posting from now.
--
Red Scholefield
On Wed, 2 Sep 2009 19:03:41 -0500, Red Scholefield

I've used Google to tide me over from time to time.
I enjoy having a newsreader to help organize what I'm looking at.
I've plunked down money a couple of times to keep up with Agent. There are lots of other newsreaders out there:
http://www.big-8.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id qs:news_readers
                Marty
--
Big-8 newsgroups: humanities.*, misc.*, news.*, rec.*, sci.*, soc.*, talk.*
See http://www.big-8.org for info on how to add or remove newsgroups.

go to www.eternal-september.org and sign up (it's free)
instructions will be there for what you need to change your reader's account settings to (from verizon to eternal-september)...
pretty painless and free...
Geezer