OS 46LA Idle to Full is slow and choppy

Hey guys I need a little help. I have a OS 46LA spinning a 10x6 on a Tower Hobbies 40 Trainer. I have always fuled with 10% without trouble. We flew it last year with little problems. Last week we went to the field and couldn't get the engine to start. Yes the engine was stored properly and actually the week prior to going we had the engine running. So we parked it and flew another of our models.

Anyway, we finally found a hole in the fuel line running from the remote to the carb and have replaced it. The engine starts and runs, it idles and it will run full open. The problem is the response from idle to full open is slow and choppy. Also when coming back to idle from full it tends to "hover" around a high idle then after say 10 to

15 seconds will actually fall to idle.

The air bleed screw is located in the end of the rotor and I have adjusted it open, closed, open, closed..... and have tried different needle valve settings. The thing that gets me the most is I can adjust the air bleed screw and it doesn't seem to make any difference. I have actually adjusted it more than three full turns either in or out and there is no difference.

Can anyone please give me any ideas on how to correct this throttle response? And why adjusting the air bleed screw isn't making any difference in operation?

Thanks in advance.

Jeff

Reply to
akaman

I apologize, but the engine I'm refering to is a Tower Hobbies .46 BB ABC Schnuerle

Reply to
Jeff

Try changing the glow plug. I have one of these and its been on at least 4 different planes most of which were re-kitted while running with that engine. Uh, not the engine's fault. Still runs great.

Reply to
Fubar of The HillPeople

Uh, OK. Still try a new glow plug...

Reply to
Fubar of The HillPeople

Sounds like too lean, from how it slows to idle.

I bet you did not get all of the leaks. You need to check the fuel line inside the tank, and from the tank to the needle. Replace it all. It is cheap, and if you had a problem in one place, you probably had a problem (or are at least close to having problems) in other places, as well. Check and be positive that there is not some gunk plogging up the idle air hole, too.

Have you tried a new glow plug, also? I have had strange, unexplainable problems with a glow plug sometimes, that lights and looks good, but runs like crap. Probably not it, but if it is not one of the above problems, it couldn't hurt to check it with a fresh one in it.

Reply to
Morgans

Sounds like the idle mixture is rich. With no apparant response to changing the idle mixture screw I would suspect the air bleed hole is clogged up.

Ed

Reply to
Ed Smega

On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 22:55:39 -0500, "Ed Smega" wrote in :

I'm pretty sure he came back and told us that he is not dealing with an OS LA 46 but a Tower Hobbies .46 (or something like that).

I doubt that it is air bleed at all. It's probably a two-needle system.

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

Either way, a new glow plug, especially after storage, solves a lot of problems.

Texas Pete

Reply to
Random Excess