TT-07 impossible to start, help ?

new flier, just picked up a TT-07 powered trainer, can I start the bugger !! It fires occasionally, tried all sorts of needle settings and throttle settings, using correct recomended fuel. Glow starter, well, is 1.2v enough ? i can see plug glowing but its not super hot. After 2 days and a very sore finger, managed to get it turning under its own power for 3 seconds ! What can i do to improve this starting performance ?

Reply to
Steve Tourle

Try different/fresh fuel. Perhaps a bit more nitro..mayeb 30%. Smaller engines like nitro. Bill K

Reply to
Stoc005

Initial setting rich so make sure you start and run with carb set at idle = hole in barrel open about 1/16 - 3/32 inch. Use new OS No 8 glowplug or Enya No.3. for up to 10% nitro. Glow should be a good bright orange. Do Not Use an electric drill - to slow, nor a large 12V starter for a larger motor - you may flood and break conrod or more. After a couple of 2 oz runs, the GP.07 starts easily with a finger flip and run like a sewing machine. Have broken in several of these gems with another new one is mounted on the Test Stand for an early start tomorrow. I now cheat. - refer to =

is another version I can send you a jpg of in need.

Reply to
A.T.

Ole' dummy here...I'm still trying to figure what a TT-.07 is. You said trainer/07. What is a 07? Is this a very small trainer like a park flyer with a small glow engine?? Thanx

Reply to
TX_QBALL

I'm betting it's a Thunder Tiger .07 glow engine. :) Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"

Reply to
Dr1Driver

Thunder Tiger makes two sport/trainer models....57" span, high wing. Both are identical. One is more suitable as a parkflyer. Both 3ch control. One is called the Sparky (electric version) and the other the Sky Scooter (glow version ) thus the Thunder Tiger .07 glow engine.

Mike

Reply to
Mike R

Above all, don't get discouraged. Until you get the engine tuned and broken in, it's gonna be a challenge to flip start. Most engines are like that. BTDT.

First, I'd recommend you get a "chicken stick" of some sort. It'll save your finger. Charge up your glow ignitor. Set the prop so it's pointing to 2 o'clock and 8 o'clock when the engine is coming up on compression.

Start with the needle valve exactly two turns from completely closed. Open the throttle to full, place your finger over the opening, then turn the prop over by hand until all the bubbles are out of the fuel line going to the carb. A good prime and a solid fuel supply are mandatory for successful engine running. If the fuel won't stay in the line, you have an air leak somewhere in the system. Fix it. Change out all the fuel line if you must. Replace the tank. Reseat the carburetor. Check all connections.

Close the throttle and flip the engine over three more times by hand.

Open the throttle until it's open about the width of a pencil. Plug the glow ignitor on.

Now flip. It should at least fire. If it does, repeat the priming procedure and try again.

Reply to
Mathew Kirsch

I just didn't know of a trainer type plane that is powered by an .07 size engine. Learn somtin ever day......... thanx

Reply to
TX_QBALL

refer to

check the GP-07 engine = a real sweetie. for the GP-7 powered ARTF Scooter see =
of the electric version =
Some people simply change the motor power from gas to electric depending upon the occasion and their mood. - easy to retrofit either model with a removable power pod.

regards Alan T. Alan's Hobby, Model & RC Web Links

A.T.

Steve,

Check the low end idle screw. Some people screw them all the way in and the engine will not run. Hope this helps.

JIB

Steve Tourle wrote:

Reply to
John Berk

Steve, How to improve starting performance? Get a Miller 1/2A electric starter.

I also had trouble starting my new TT-07, flipping with my finger. I gave up the first day. The next time I tried, I was armed with a Miller 1/2A electric starter. The carburetor on this has an air bleed low speed adjustment. It makes no difference where it's set unless your at the extreme low end. I used a 6-3 prop and good 1/2A fuel(25%nitro and 25%oil). Using the starter it fired right up and with a little adjustment of the high speed needle it was running. It did take a few minutes running before I could begin to lean it out. Now it runs great. It not a real power house but it does the job and it idles good for a small engine. The more I run it the better it gets.

LGG

Reply to
loyd_greer

Please refer to the manufacturers' instruction sheet - max 15% Nitro. No need to waste so much expensive Nitro for no gain nor to load up with oil - that mix was for the now ancient .049 Cox engines with a ball and socket conrod and very different metals and design. . The TT GP-07 is a sweet little motor, especially when run as recommended =

see also review =

post
regards Alan T.

Alan's Hobby, Model & RC Web Links

A.T.

Can somebody tell me about the turns required on the air valve screw on the carburator because I just was moving it and now I dont know where is the factory setting.....How to adjust it to the best position???

Reply to
ciroajimenez

I'm not familiar with that specific carb but usually in an air bleed carb you can see the screw in the hole. Count the turns from closed to open so you know when you've gone too far. Start with it almost closed and work your way out. Hopefully other will chime in. mk

Reply to
MJKolodziej

If you are really talking about an air bleed screw, then it should not bother the engine from running at wide open throttle, at all.

Run the screw in until the hole is closed, and back out (open) about a turn and a half. Open the throttle wide open (usual cautions; plane held, stuff away from the prop, ect) and start it. Bring it down to a fast idle, and see how it sounds. Adjust so it has a slightly burbling 4 cycle sound, and then give it the gas, fast. The throttle response will tell you what you need to do next. If it coughs and dies, close the air bleed. If it struggles in a 4 cycle sound and sounds like it is flooding, open the air bleed.

Let us know how it goes.

Reply to
Morgans

A great little motor but hard for beginners to start until it is run in. After run-in it is like a little sewing machine. NB: The manufacturers instructions regarding run in and fuel mix are the optimum.

Standard starter motors do not spin over fast enough and will bend the conrod in event of a hydraulic lock.

Easiest starting method is to build a 1/2A starter motor as shown under sub section "Cleaning & Starter Motors (Homemade & On board): at Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links

regards Alan T.

Reply to
A.T.

------------

Unless gasoline carburetors (Walbro, etc.), model carburetors are not set to a specific usable setting that is to be used when the engine is fired up for the first time.

Why? Because the type of fuel, size of the prop and the height of the fuel tank varies from one person/model to the next.

Close the high speed needle very gently. Don't screw it down tight or you can ruin the carb internally. Just a little snug with your finger tips. Now unscrew the high speed needle (the big one that sticks out from the side) about 2.5 to 3.0 turns.

Adjust the airbleed screw so that the screw blocks 1/2 of the hole. That is a good starting point for any engine, even the TT .07 (Yep, I have one too).

The big secret to running glow engines is to never try to run them without a propeller or other load mounted on the crankshaft. Running them without a prop or other load will instantly destroy the engine.

Use the manufacturer's recommended prop size. If you do not have that prop size, do not run the engine until you do.

Use the manufacturer's recommended fuel. This is important.

This is a fine little engine, but you will have to learn its quirks. Once mastered, you will be very happy with it. Be patient and do it right.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

Substitute "Unlike" for "Unless". Doh!