Joining wings

I am a newish scratch builder and would like to know how I could join a split main wing at the fuselage (low & high wing) for 40 to 60 sized aircraft. The split main wing concept is necessitated due to transport limitations.

TIA

Reply to
Pete

On 8/15/2004 3:35 PM Ted shuffled out of his cave and grunted these great (and sometimes not so great) words of knowledge:

Depends on the type of airplane for specifics, however, I use wing tubes and sockets for my split wing planes.

Reply to
Ted Campanelli

TIA ================ A wing tube, as Ted suggested, might be the answer. I'm building a Tower Hobbies Uproar 60 and it has a wing 'center section' with an aluminum wing tube going into the wing panels. The assembly manual is online. You might look through it to see if you could make something similar work in your design. Here's a direct link to the manual.

Carrell

Reply to
Carrell

Yes, it is very doable. The idea is to imbed a brass tube in each wing and employ a steel rod when putting the wings together. I can send along some pics it you like.

Reply to
Joe D.

There was an article in RCM or MAN within the last year or two that detailed how to convert typical ARF wings into two-piece using common materials. You don't need anything special like wing tubes...

Reply to
Mathew Kirsch