R/C Airplane Shipping Charges for built model

I have a few R/C Model airplanes that I want to sell over the net. They are 40-60 size aircraft with 5 - 6 foot wingspan that are already
built. I see lot's of people selling built planes on the net and they are charging $30 - $45 for shipping. I would like to know how they are doing this? I calculated the shipping charge on USPS and also UPS and FedEx and the parsel post rate is over $100.00 for an oversize package large enough to properly ship a model. Not to mention that It should be shipped in 2 boxes. 1 for the wing and 1 for the fuselage. I don't even want to think about what it would cost to have a special box made on top of it. Any suggestions?
| I see lot's of people selling built planes on the net and they are | charging $30 - $45 for shipping. I would like to know how they are | doing this?
You could always email them and ask ...
I've heard that Greyhound is a good way to ship oversized boxes as well.
Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.
I've also heard that shipping built planes via Greyhound is the only good way to do it.

Maybe they are just eating the cost of half the shipping to get the plane sold?
I have shipped large models via Fedex ground. Great service, fast, and cheap! The cheapest of any. UPS is a ripoff and USPS won't take anything that big. I sent a huge airplane in two boxes from Florida to Michigan and the total bill was about $35!
I received an airplane via greyhound one time. They beat it up pretty bad!

I don't believe that about Fedex. It must have a wing span of less than 60 inches. Once you go over 60 inches, they consider it "heavy" and charge the 50 lb rate which is $65.

YOU ARE LOOKING AT REGULAR FEDEX!!! Look at FedEx GROUND! Totally different animal!

I sent an assembled aircraft along with some other things in the box , such as monokote , heat iron and gun , extra Quickie 500 wing, from WV to my son in Houston for $38 . It was sent by FedEx ground. Only took 4 days.
Ken Day
Ken, I have had EXCELLENT results from FedEx Ground too! UPS can go take a jump!