"Speedy" maiden flight

Maiden flight of the "Speedy" held lots of excitement on the field - would it fly? Would it crash? Would it be hard to control? Etc...

Picture at More pix at

"Speedy" flew well and lived up to its name. Owner spent about 9 mos building it and was reluctant to test it himself. A little caution can be a good thing. So one of the instructors was asked to fly it.

Elevator throw was too much - it snap rolled on the first inside loop - that was exciting.

Second flight after some computer radio adjustments (dual rates quieted it down) looked really good.

OS .40 LA, thin symmetrical wing, V-tail used as elevator only (1 servo). No landing gear (skid plate), tailskid.

Best - LeeH

Reply to
LeeH

Nice looking plane & great photo. Brian

Reply to
Brian Morris

Lee,

I noticed a Duraplane posted on your site and said it belonged to you. I'm considering getting one for myself as a trainer. How does it fly? Have you crashed it yet? Does it live up to it's name?

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

| I noticed a Duraplane posted on your site and said it belonged to | you. I'm considering getting one for myself as a trainer. How does | it fly? Have you crashed it yet? Does it live up to it's name?

I've got a Sturdy Birdy II, which is basically identical to a Duraplane 20 trainer.

They do fly, but faster than most other trainers because they weigh more.

I never really crashed mine, thanks to my instructor. However, it should be somewhat more resilient than a built up balsa trainer

The control surfaces are connected via the normal methods, and so are no more durable than those on any other plane. Mine have been broken once or twice just by accidents in the garage.

In a minor accident, the plane is likely to survive with little more than a broken prop. In a more serious accident, the engine is up front, so it's going to get broken if you hit something hard.

A Duraplane might be a good choice if you're trying to learn to fly a glow plane by yourself with no help. (But I don't suggest this!) If you do have an instructor, I'd suggest a built-up trainer instead. They fly better, and slower -- which helps with the learning process.

The Duraplane instructions themselves do say this --

The DuraPlane Trainer 40 is intended for intermediate to expert level pilots. Beginners can enjoy flying the Trainer 40 also, if they have had experience flying trainer models.

Cute that their trainer requires experience with a trainer ...

The group does seem to have a resident Duraplane maven, and you may be hearing from him shortly. If not, google the group for Duraplane -- there's been a lot of posts recently. (And it seems quite possible that your question was _intended_ to invoke him.)

Reply to
Doug McLaren

forget the duraplane and build a DEB from the spad site. a much better trainer. here is a link to the spad site.

here is a link to a picture of the DEB.
this plane is a great trainer that you dont need experience to enjoy. like Doug says, I also recommend you dont try to fly glow without an instructor at first. I fly a lot of 'lectrics and there is just something different with a glow plane that can catch even an experienced 'lectric flyer offguard. good luck matt

-- I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for private users. It has removed 147 spam emails to date. Paying users do not have this message in their emails. Try

for free now!

Reply to
www.allthingsrc.com/webshop