Have USPS rules on shipping motors changed?

Several weeks ago, I received a G61-M reload from Al's Hobbies as part of my raffle winnings (thanks Cathy). This was shipped via USPS surface only.

I then wanted to order another reload (as well as some non-motor parts) from their web site and they sent me an e-mail saying that since the motor exceeded the 32g limit on motors and they would need to ship it UPS with a hazmat fee of $20.

Has the USPS rules changed between the two shipments or did someone make a mistake? I thought the limit was 62g, and that the G61-M was under that limit.

Reply to
Wayne Johnson

My guess would be that two people made a mistake. I 'think' that the hobby shop made a mistake if they shipped by USPS, but I 'know' that you made a mistake by posting the name of the hobby shop here, when you (by the very nature of your question) thought they might have slipped up through human error. It sure would have made it a whole lot better for all concerned if you'd posted it as a hypothetical, omitting the name of those who may have made that mistake...

David Erbas-White

Reply to
David Erbas-White

Who makes a G61??

30 grams has been the USPS limit for a long time.

the reload kit in segments of less than 30 grams each?

Reply to
shreadvector

Oh no, if in his opinion they violated any laws, he has a civic duty to report them to the feds (and anyone else who will listen).

Reply to
Tweak

Why Fred, Aero-tech does, and it's a good motor.

38mm 1 grain load, for a decent price.

They make some 2 grain 29mm "G"s as well for the HPR casing line. yes the HPR casing line goes below 160ns ;-)

Reply to
AlMax

Is it certified?

Reply to
shreadvector

Yes,

TRA certified all the new AT "G" motors. The combined list was only last updated in the middle of 2004.

their are lots of RMR threads you can review about all the new 29mm and 38mm AT "G"s. They got very heated and off topic however.

Reply to
AlMax

As a famous (or "Use the web. It's easy and provides actual facts instead of garbled third hand remembrances."

David Erbas-White

Reply to
David Erbas-White

Once we get past all the BATFE crap, I wonder what it would take to get 30g increased to 62.5g? And get CONSUMERS on the list authorized to reship product.

Bob Kaplow

Is that per slug for reloads? Would an H238 be USPS mailable since the grains are only 27g?

Bob Kaplow

I did use the web. I posted the link to the combined cert list several messages ago when I asked who made the mystery motor.

I used the web and found nothing. I could serch the usenet, but that usually results in tons of crap.

I can drive home and pull the latest NAR magazine from the 1st class envelope and find the new combined cert list there, but that will take many more hours. Too bad the NAR website is soo far out of date....

-Fred Shecter NAR 20117

third hand remembrances."

Reply to
shreadvector

My garbled third hand guess would be that if each slug was individually packaged under 30 grams, maybe.

Or maybe not.

YMMV.

-Fred "SPFEW" Shecter NAR 20117

shreadvector

yes, most all the 29mm reload line is shipped via USPS. see Gary's website for details on the subject.

Reply to
AlMax

let me clarify the 29mm HPR line is shippable below 30g Bates Gains. not the 29/40-120 consumer hobby line C slots.

Reply to
AlMax

Wayne It appears that the USPS grain limit is

Reply to
Kenneth Jarosch

Scroll down a bit and you can read about (and find a link to) the USPS shipping exemption. The limit is UN 1.4s classification. DOT has traditionally applied a cutoff of 30 grams for this limit.

It looks like someone made a mistake in shipping the G61 reload to you. (I think that since this is a 38mm reload it uses a single grain of 60.9 grams.) A lot of people make this mistake, including one notable online retailer that I will not mention by name. They read the USPS rules, skip past the 1.4s limit (and the even more restricitive aditional requirement of one of two specific UN numbers), see the quoting of the CPSC definition of a model rocket motor along with the 62.5 gram limit, and think that it is OK to ship up to 62.5 gram propellant slugs/motors.

Aerotech used to have some documents from USPS in their resources area of their web pages that showed where USPS explicitly denied their request to ship some items that were over this 30 gram limit. Those documents are gone now and have been replaced with a single document:

But by reading this you can see once again that the 1.4s/30 gram limit is quite inflexible.

Note that the Estes E9 is over the 30 gram limit (and is 1.4C) and cannot be shipped (legally) via USPS.

Wayne Johnson wrote: > Several weeks ago, I received a G61-M reload from Al's Hobbies as part > of my raffle winnings (thanks Cathy). This was shipped via USPS > surface only. >

Reply to
David Schultz

I thought that only applied to Jerry. 8-)

Reply to
Phil Stein

and some of the blackjack 29mm reloads are > 30g per slug.

Reply to
David

Chill, Fred, it's right here:

NAR isn't the whole world, you know :-)

(Of course they have the case listed incorrectly as 29/120 rather than

38/120).

> AlMax wrote:

Reply to
David

Selective enforcement is the mantra of this industry.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine