OT: Top Posting

Me?

Hate?

Just more light banter..why did you see hatred there I wonder..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 13:11:45 +0000, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and The Natural Philosopher instead replied:

You don't have to wonder at all. You simply veered completely off topic into politics criticizing someone you clearly don't like to the point of not even writing his name properly. That's about as hate filled as it gets. Now, go banter yourself into a glass of your favorite beverage and hoist it in the general direction of southwest and offer this old guy a toast. I'll do the same to you.

Cheers! Here's to your health, NP.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

If you want to be ignored and don't mind being annoying top post. If you don't mind disrupting the flow top post.

A: Because people don't talk that way.

Q: Why is top posting wrong/

Barry ===== Home page

Barry OGrady

Barry ===== Home page

Barry OGrady

On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 05:02:08 +1100, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and Barry OGrady instead replied:

Being ignore by you would be a distinct pleasure, Barry. Never forget that. Now do your best Alex Trebec imitation.

That's a good lad. It's still utterly meaningless. Either way is fine. Do as you wish.

I have an idea for you, Barry. Start your own forum and you can shove your way down all the members' throats. You can dictate your terms to them and ridicule them based on nothing more than a personal whim. You can browbeat them and even ban them forever into the graveyard of your ideas. You can humiliate them, treat them like dirt and call them names every time they top post. It'll be your perfect world and you'll be utterly alone in it. Enjoy.

For those reading this far, feel free to post on top, in the middle or at the bottom in any fashion or combination of those methods you choose. This place, and the entire Internet for that matter, is something YOU pay for and YOU get to decide how you want to post. Don't let anyone ever spoil your fun or take away your joy.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 18:58:34 -0700, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and 2fast instead replied:

I remember but to be honest, I don't carry grudges. I wheel them around on a dolly to the edge of a high cliff and let them go free.

Always been a "catch and release" kind of guy.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 05:03:11 +1100, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and Barry OGrady instead replied:

Those with reading skills and an acute sense of irony will note that this was posted above the rest of this message. Look down, everybody. See how Barry chose to post above all that?

Nice one, Barry. Show us again how smart and superior you are. Please?

Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

Ray, He signed his own post with that name so there is nothing to 'catch and release' or any other sort of grudge.

Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High

| Those with reading skills and an acute sense of irony will note that | this was posted above the rest of this message.

... and below other parts of the message. Really, this issue isn't top-posting vs. bottom posting, it's more top-posting vs. in-line posting, but if you're only responding to one small issue, then in-line posting and bottom posting are identical.

In any event, the big problem with top-posting isn't actually top-posting at all -- it's the lack of trimming that goes along with it, where somebody takes the entire message and just adds a few lines to it, and doesn't edit out anything that's not really needed anymore.

In this case, it looks like Barry responded in-line, but didn't trim. Which isn't much better than top-posting and not trimming.

top-posting works fine if you're responding to one small issue and you trim out the rest. The problem is that most top-posters can't be bothered to do this trimming, but most bottom-posters (or in-line posters, if you wish) go ahead and do the trimming.

| Look down, everybody. See how Barry chose to post above all that?

If you need to point something out about what he posted, then it wasn't that obvious.

If it was obvious, then you don't need to point it out.

Ultimately, you're just beating your chest here. Of course, I'm pointing that out when it's obvious, so it doesn't need to be mentioned, and so I'm just beating my own chest too.

| Nice one, Barry. Show us again how smart and superior you are.

Isn't that what you're attempting to do? How's that working out for you?

R/C related :

I just bought two JR RXs, R700s. Both are on the same channel, but the crystal case that's plugged into the RX says channel 52 and then has three dots under the channel number. On one, the middle dot is blacked in and the others are not. On the other, the left dot is blacked in and the others are not.

Anybody know what these dots are supposed to signify?

Reply to
Doug McLaren

On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 11:35:39 -0600, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and "Six_O'Clock_High" >>remember everyone's nick name for TNP as DH, That stands for dick head,

Of course and I know your initials, too. The idea is that, despite a few years of hiatus, I have been around this place since the early

1990s. I remember when Red was the target of bashing because he knows a bit about batteries. Remember the solder or weld issue for airborne battery packs? How about Kevin Kline? While I was gone, somebody "outed" him, posting his real name which drove him into hiding. Like Bin Laden, he's probably hiding in some cave somewhere.

I've had my moments of heated discussion with many people here. My pet peeve is anyone who ignores safety and when that gets pointed out to them, they defend their own unsafe practice to the death. Which, oddly enough, satisfies the argument in favor of safety.

All that being stated, I don't hold grudges. When a discussion happens here, everyone learns from it no matter which side you come down on. Can you honestly state that you never learned a thing from a person you disagreed with? You may not admit it at the time but there is always something to be learned from the other folk here. When a discussion is over, the slate is cleared. I live my life that way and keep more friends with that philosophy.

Catch and release also refers to fishing where the fisherman releases his catch safely into the stream, lake or ocean after catching it. It was a joke about releasing NP over a cliff.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

People may top post if they wish. Trim or not trim. This is USENET and I pay for it. Others pay for their access even if they use Google. So, if it's all yours by purchase, do as you wish.

On 23 Jan 2008 17:35:48 GMT, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and "Doug McLaren" instead replied:

Basically, he's a USENET Nazi and a kook. I caught him in hypocrisy.

I trimmed. Just for you. For the record, as you noted, I also would rather this topic went away and modeling discussions ensued. But, as is my right, I will comment on the absurd nature of posts from those demanding that others post in a way that is 100% in sync their way of thinking. It's utter nonsense. What's next? Spelling police?

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 07:17:21 +0900, Ray Haddad wrote in :

Grammar, spelling, syntax, punctuation, sentence formation, paragraphing, organization, unity, and coherence--these are the things I grade my students on (I'm in my 22nd year of teaching).

Yes, this thread is nonsense. Welcome to Usenet! :o)

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

Sounds like "Arnold" to me - "I had to let him go!".

Reply to
2fast

On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 15:43:47 -0700, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and 2fast instead replied:

I believe he said, "I let him go."

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 17:32:15 -0500, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and "Martin X. Moleski, SJ" instead replied:

in :

I don't really mind them, Martin. They become a diversion and can be very entertaining at times. Some of the best one liners I've ever read on USENET come from these silly, pointless debates.

Welcome? When does the Welcome Wagon show up? Been here (on USENET or its precursor) for over 25 years now without that basket of fruit. I'm entitled.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

Ray, I ahve to agree with you on this having gone on way too long.

Only thing that I can think of to say are:

1) We've got duelling trolls 2) Really slow month (can't fly, can't work on the garden, can't ...) 3) All they're stuck with on the boob tube are reality shows.

TP vs BP..... I've been bouncing on and off Usenet and othe other 'Nets since the days that DARPA made the mistake of letting everyone hook to it, and these guys are not past-masters of the bon-mot scholl of insults. Wait until you see university professors going at it (and I've seen it too!) -- not a pretty sight to see the scattered remains of bruised and deflated egos lying all over the comptuer lab floor.

My one and only posting on this.

I'm going back to eating lunch and planning what next to build so I can go flying indoors.

The noise-to-signal ratio is getting too close to "division by zero" for my system to handle.....

(;-P)

Reply to
byrocat

Top posting is the big new beef out there in the newsgroup? You guys have really latched on to a burning topic here..... There's probably not one of you a day under 75, with waaaaay too much time on your hands... Go have a glass of warm milk and listen to Rush Limbaugh until you fall asleep. Spring's almost here, we can continue this conversation out at the flying field. It ain't that difficult- Paul

Reply to
Paul Ryan