OT: Top Posting

Wow... after a few years away I come back to Usenet for two days and find the 'I'll top post if I want to because netiquette and protocol don't apply to me' discussion. Dammit... WTF is wrong with people!!!

Specifically: "While each online community differs on which styles are appropriate or acceptable, within any community the use of the "wrong" method risks being seen as a major breach of netiquette, and can provoke vehement response from community regulars."

Just because _you_ 'disagree' does not make _you_ right... top-posting is _wrong_ in Usenet - period.

Usenet: The place where people flog the memory of grease spots left behind by dead horses.

It feels good to be back.

;-)

Verv

Reply to
Vervain Speller

Well welcome back. I top post, not because "I'll top post if I want to because netiquette and protocol don't apply to me", but because I'm lazy and think it's a waste of time to have to scroll to the bottom of a long post to read the reply. I'm not saying I'm right, I really don't care one way or another. It's just the way I do it. If it's wrong..............well gee, I'm sorry, but I ain't going to change. Again, welcome back.

42
Reply to
42

Maybe "42" should change his number to "197".

~Lee

Reply to
mtngal

LMAO!!! :-)

Reply to
Vervain Speller

(snip)

If you wish to be a rude, crude person, nobody can stop you. Just as strongly, I think you are unfriendly and I'll usually ignore you cause your not worth my time.

Reply to
Don Bowey

On Wed, 02 Jan 2008 18:55:12 -0600, Vervain Speller wrote in :

Welcome home, Verv!

Glad to see you didn't lose your sense of humor while you were away. :o)

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

And awaaaaayyyy we go!! (Just plain posted)

Reply to
Fubar of The HillPeople

Hey, Verv, I didn't say I was right about top posting. Hell, I didn't even say netiquette and protocol don't apply to me. I just said that's the way I've done it in business and I find it comfortable for me. Argue with me, chide me and vilify me, that's probably the way I'll continue to do it until I see the light.

By the way, I haven't seen you around before, but apparently you are back, so welcome back. I hope you stick around. I also hope it wasn't an unfriendly top-poster who chased you off before. You'll find me to be one of the friendliest guys you've ever met, but everyone has his faults. One of mine is (hanging my head in shame) top posting. Compared to some of the other sins, top posting is very minor. I gave up smoking a few years back, however, how's that!

Warm regards, Harlan

Reply to
H Davis

In some newsgroups, top posting gets you ignored at the very least. Usually not here. At least you quoted the text you were responding to. Not doing that is what really annoys me.

Vance

Reply to
Vance Howard

Me too, 42 :-)

Reply to
Ed Forsythe

As my mother used to say, if this is the worst thing you have to complain about, consider yourself lucky.

Reply to
Robert Reynolds

Hear! Hear!

Ed Cregger (the original top poster)

----------------

Reply to
Ed Cregger

Oh heavens no. It takes a lot more to get me going than that... I went away while taking a sabbatical to go back to studying for a while. In total about 5 years. But I now have a little money and a little time so back to the skies I go.

I just thought it was funny that the 'original usenet argument' was still very much alive. I'm very much a when in Rome kind of fella so I've always tried to follow the 'accepted' protocol of the various net technologies and communities that I've come across over the years. Of course many times I've unknowingly violated untold number of sins however I've always accepted the corrections when they have come and feel good about that... but ya - each to there own in many ways. Like I say it will take a lot more to run me off of anything. :-)

Verv

Reply to
Vervain Speller

--------------

Just think, in the 1930's in Hoboken, NJ, your name would have been pronounced Voiv. Reminds me of something the Cowardly Lion would say. No reflection upon you, of course.

Welcome back La-La Land.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

Who says it isn't now ;-)

Thank you :-)

Reply to
Vervain Speller

I seldom post to this group anymore, but this top posting vs bottom posting thing has been going on forever. I agree that bottom posting makes it easier to follow a thread, but most newsreaders default to top posting. Rather than speed or laziness, I think most top posting occurs because it's the easy thing to do. Ken.

Reply to
Kenneth D. Schillinger

Its merely where the MicroShit newsreader puts the cursor by default.

However who cares, honestly?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It's a setting that is very easily changed. However, most people are too lazy to go in and change settings unless they absolutely have to. I stopped using Outhouse Express long ago.

On this newsgroup, top posting is tolerated. However, go to any linux newsgroup and top post and just wait for the shit you catch because of it. So, it depends on which newsgroup you frequent.

Reply to
Vance Howard

On Sun, 6 Jan 2008 10:03:25 -0800, "Kenneth D. Schillinger" wrote in :

You can change the options in Outlook so that the cursor is placed elsewhere.

Not a big deal to me.

Folks who want to move up a notch might look at Quotefix for Outlook:

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ