Painting a Pilot

I have one of those latex/rubber 1/4 scale WWI pilot busts. What is the best paint to use on it (gas engine)? TIA!

Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"

Reply to
Dr1Driver

Gerald...

The acrylic craft paints you see with the "cutesy" names are perfect for latex OR plastic pilots.. Just look for the SHADE you want; don't look for a name... IOW, "Chocolate Parfait" might serve as a suntanned flesh color... These paints actually become acrylic plastic when they dry... A little practice with gloss & matte topcoats will let you get any look you want in short order... Get a $5.00 portable hairdryer to "flash" the paint after using a color, then go on to the next.. Fast...

And if you really wanna learn about painting a realistic pilot see

This video from Bob Hunt demo'ed by scale master Don Typond will show you a TON of tricks. 2 hrs long; and not a boring moment in it..

A truly professional how-to from a classy guy...

Cheers,

Reply to
Bill Fulmer

When the sweetie paints pilots for me she uses water based acrylic enamel. We get it at the local craft store (Micheals). It is designed to be applied by brush as well as airbrushing. Once it has dried I spray on a couple coats clear acrylic enamel. Just remember it takes about a month for latex paints to completely dry.

Reply to
Sherman F. Dickson II

Lexan Acrylics and Laquer remained flexable and survived a demolition crash without a chip or visable crack. I used Pactra and Tamiya paints of brush grade. Flesh tones are available. Also, flats and gloss available. Red shirt instead of brown for leather jacket, made mine stand out with a spray smoked canopy. No fuel problems noticed.

PS: Shoe Goop also stays flexable and sticks to rubber and more. It left my rubber pilot fully attached to the ply, and ply air baffle in the fiberglass cowl when the rest of the 1/4 scale plane was impacted to toothpicks.

Reply to
warlockg

I used Testors from my plastic model days. Turned out poorly, I suggest you don't let ME paint your pilot.

< survived a demolition crash>

OK, what's the last thing you care about in a crash? mk

Reply to
MK

check out the aces of iron website, they have a terrific and detaild tutorial on painting a very realistic lookign pilot.

acesofiron.com

John

Reply to
JohnT.