phaeton 2 40 size

Hello, I am about to start building the above kit and though I have build quite a few kits never a biplane before. Any hints or things to watch out for with this one? Thanks in advance hamrc

Reply to
hamrc

Just build straight and follow the directions. It is only one extra wing, after all.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

This is an excellent first bip. I scratch built one 10 years ago. You may want to get a 46 for this bird. Mine had a 61 in it, and it was a little over powered but not by much. A 40 will be on the low side.

Don

Reply to
Twinster2

Thanks Don, That's the kind of info I was looking for. I have a nib os46fx am glad to hear it will work out well. regards Gary

Reply to
hamrc

Gary-

Glad I could help. The Phaeton is a very good first Bip. You will enjoy it.

Don

Reply to
Twinster2

I built one and flew it for a couple years. I powered mine with a Saito .65, great combo.

To balance mine, it require the attachment of a 4 ounce lead weight to the firewall. It flew the same with and without the weight attached. So I discarded the weight after the initial 5 or 6 flights. So if yours turns out a little tail heavy I wouldn't worry too much about it.

My Pheaton climbed badly. I had to attach 1/4" spacers to the tops of the rear top wing support posts to adjust the top wing incidence to 0 degrees.

It was the second plane I built. The instructions gave no details on joining the halves of the top wing. It took me days to decide how to join the top wing halves, I hope they have updated the assembly instructions.

I think the stock ailerons were 3/4" wide, I substituted 1 1/4" wide ailerons. It had an nice roll rate, not fast, but ok.

I never built, nor used, nor installed the outer wing supports.

Reply to
emcook

Thanks emcook for the very useful info. r/c flyers are a great bunch. all the best Gary

Reply to
hamrc

I also threw away the balsa wing spars and used 1/4" spruce for both the top and bottom wings spars.

The top wing has no top trailing edge sheeting. Its only sheeted on the bottom of the top trailing edge.

I think the same is true for the bottom wing, no top sheeting on the trailing edge. However I did install sheeting on the bottom wings trailing edge both top and bottom.

Reply to
emcook