Pitts LG

I recently was given an ARF Pitts special that someone ordered from Tower. While going over it with a fine tooth comb looking for ways to make it better and measure up to MY standards, I discovered something odd.

The landing gear was only 5/32! That is just not good enough as it is KNOWN that part takes a pounding and bends a lot. So I bought a hunk of 1/4 inch

6061 and had it bent to the correct shape. The shop that did the bending was supposed to shear the rear angles off the metal before bending, but they did not. Since the price was right (wrapped up in another job for a company project) I cannot complain.

Anyone know an easy way to cut the stuff? I have a bandsaw but didn't really want to destroy the blade. I have a hack saw but plead to being lazy.

While we are on this subject, does anyone know of any weakness in this bird? I looked and Tower says the U.S. 41 is a good engine, so I expect the BME 44 will be great. If it turns out not to be enough, I will hang a Quadra 50 up there.

TIA

Jim Branaum

Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High

Hey, Jim. I have a variable speed jig saw that, with a new blade (cheaper than a band saw blade) that would work well...

Bob

Reply to
Checkursix

I would use a dremel tool with a cut-off wheel.

Dick

Reply to
Dick Sutton

I am assuming you are better with a jig saw than I am. . . .

Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High

Dremel and a cutoff wheel, or two, or three? That's how I cut my music wire.

Morris

Reply to
Morris Lee

You can use my poor mans band saw. An upsidedown jig saw in a vice, and a packet of fine tooth blades.

Reply to
Steve Banks

You can use my poor mans band saw, an upsidedown jig saw in a vice. Pick up a pack of fine tooth blades too.

Reply to
Steve Banks

Jim, Sounds to me like you would be happier with a tank than an airplane. I do fabricate a lot of aluminum parts..take it from experience..6061 will not hurt your bandsaw blade. A little WD40 along the cut line will keep the blade clean. But my concern is that the additional weight of that much aluminum, especially that far below the thrust line, will affect the axial performance in a very negative manner.

Phil AMA609

Reply to
pcoopy

That very well may be, but I already KNOW that 5/32 aluminum gear on a 14 to

15 pound airframe is NOT going to work. First landing that is not an absolute greaser and I will be rebending it. Things go down hill from there. I will go with the lesser of two evils. Thanks though.
Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High

You're right, Six, it won't. I ended up with 3/16" on my 15# Dr.1.

You can cut Al with a metal bandsaw blade, hacksaw, or you can grind it with a Dremel-type cutoff wheel.

I don't think the slight extra weight of the 6061 Al gear will make much difference to the flying characteristics. Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"

Reply to
Dr1Driver

My version is a bit more upmarket than yours then. I made a metal plate (table) which is fitted to the jig saw when I want a band saw. I can clamp a straight edge to the plate(table) and use it as a rip-fence (is that the term?) for accurately cutting stuff. It helps secure the thing in place when mounting the jig/band saw upside down in tne workmate.

Perhaps I went a bit OTT ? >:-)

Reg

Reply to
tux_powered

I would wonder just how many cut-off disc's one would go through cutting .250" 6061-T6 at, what Jim, 6" or 8" on each side of the gear???

Better have stock in Dremel!!

Bob

Reply to
Checkursix

More than 3 for EACH SIDE!! .250" thick 6061-T6 Aluminum...not music wire!

Reply to
Checkursix

Exactly!! The only band saw I have is for cutting wood and the blade is way too fast!!

Reply to
Checkursix

Reply to
Checkursix

I'll go along with that...

I cut ally on my bandsaw on a regular basis... doesn't matter how hard the ally is, it's nowhere near as hard as the blade.

-- Philip Rawson

Philip Rawson

I have a pack of blades for thick (1/4 to 3/8) sheet metal as of 7 pm. At least 7 inches.

Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High

You can cut 6061 with any blade that will cut wood. As a machinist I used to cut this stuff using wood bandsaw blades, typically 1/4" blades with 4 teeth per inch. The blades lasted as long as they would have in wood. I regularly cut it using a tablesaw with a normal blade; carbide is faster but if it jams, the aluminum can pull the carbide teeth out of the blade. The secret is to use a blade that has a number of teeth that will put no more than three teeth in the cut at any instant; fine-tooth saws will only plug up and create a lot of heat. With the four-tooth blades in 1/4" 6061, there was a max of two teeth in the cut, and the blade speed was 3000 feet per minute, same as wood. Never any hassle.

Dan

Reply to
Dan Thomas

Thank you for the education!