Polyurethane dilema

I used toluene to prep speaker surrounds for a few years before it was determined to cause cancer. I used MEK to clean paint guns before it was determined to cause cancer. Etc, etc. If all of these things were so bad, human race would be extinct.

And, where did you get the idea that it contains cyanide? It doesn't and people like you that spread wild-eyed myths are more dangerous than the substance. Here are a couple of references:

Paul McIntosh

There is a HELL of a difference between isocyanate and cynaide!

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

I remember from my days as an A&P mechanic that polyurethane paint (Imron) is a cumulative toxin. In other words, it gets in your system, but it can't get out. Management tried to tell us to keep working when the paint crew was working because we didn't do much painting at our facility, and they didn't want to lose work time. But we all decided to walk out on paint days anyway. I didn't see any reason to be exposed to polyurethane paint for a couple of hours a month. Even if the effect is minimal you may start to see a difference after a few years of that. How many guys reading this use CA glues occasionally but started reacting to it after a while?

In fact, the whole aircraft maintenance industry is full of nerve damaged mechanics. All of the old guys where I worked had shaky hands and bad skin. I don't have any data to cite, but I figured it had something to do with chlorothene, MEK, polyurethane, isopropanol, fumes from seat foam, degreasers, etc, etc, etc. I stay away from all of that crap. I also leave when somebody is smoking. A little bit is too much for me. But maybe I'm weird, because I don't eat junk food or even caffeine or aspirin either.

You can be totally clear of poison with a forced air mask, though. It's pretty cheap insurance.

Robbie

Reply to
Robbie and Laura Reynolds

Don't know about gasoline but the water-based poly's including Min-Wax are DEFinitely not fuel-proof to alcohol/nitro-based fuels. The oil-based poly's seemed to be virtually immune to anything but a gunshot.

Reply to
Craze

Strange, your statement directly contradicts most other experiences with water based polyurethane finishes. How long did you let the paint cure before testing?

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

Hmmm, I think you messed something up.

I used water based poly from Minwax and it was just fine as tested up to 15% nitro. Of course, I followed the instructions and used 3 cured coats.

Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High