power supply conversion

Who knows which issue of Model Aviation had the article on modifying a
PC computer power supply for a 12 volt charger source?
Reply to
Roger Christenson
If you use an ATX power supply, you need to do only two things to it:
1. Place a switch between one of the black leads and the green lead.
2. Place a 5W, 5ohm resistor ( the actual ohms isn't too important but make sure you don't exceed the watts rating) between one of the red leads and a black lead. It is best to mount this resistor so that the PS fan can cool it.
You can now use the yellow (+12v) wires for charging. Make sure you don't exceed the ratings listed on the PS or you may let the smoke out!
Reply to
Paul McIntosh
Here's a couple of websites that cover that issue
Paul
Reply to
Paul in Redland
Don't remember, think the one I did was in MA. Works like a champ though and all fer less than a Sawbuck to.
Roger Christens>Who knows which issue of Model Aviation had the article on modifying a
Reply to
Mike Gordon
I used the instructions from the murraystate website and it couldn't have been simpler.
Works great!!
Good luck on yours.
Reply to
Commtech
Thank you -- it's nice to know the site has been of some benefit. I will be adding a construction article for a servo driver in the near future.
Regards,
Andy Batts
Reply to
Andrew Batts
Thanks for the info. I made one myself. I use it for my cars an
planes.
-Ami
- DigitalFlyer - ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Posted from the RCGroups.com Discussion Forums Visit us at
DigitalFlyer
Go to E-Zone, Battery and Charger Forum, there are thread on converting PC power supplies for use in powering 12-volt dc battery chargers.
Gary

gary