power supply conversion

Who knows which issue of Model Aviation had the article on modifying a PC computer power supply for a 12 volt charger source?

If you use an ATX power supply, you need to do only two things to it:
1. Place a switch between one of the black leads and the green lead.
2. Place a 5W, 5ohm resistor ( the actual ohms isn't too important but make sure you don't exceed the watts rating) between one of the red leads and a black lead. It is best to mount this resistor so that the PS fan can cool it.
You can now use the yellow (+12v) wires for charging. Make sure you don't exceed the ratings listed on the PS or you may let the smoke out!

Here's a couple of websites that cover that issue
http://www.marcee.org/Articles/PCPowerSupply.htm
http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/powersupply.htm
Paul

I used the instructions from the murraystate website and it couldn't have been simpler.
Works great!!
Good luck on yours.

Thank you -- it's nice to know the site has been of some benefit. I will be adding a construction article for a servo driver in the near future.
Regards,
Andy Batts
Thanks for the info. I made one myself. I use it for my cars an
planes.
-Ami
- DigitalFlyer - ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Posted from the RCGroups.com Discussion Forums Visit us at http://www.rcgroups.com <------- Win free R/C Gear View this thread at rcgroups.com: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid 722
Go to E-Zone, Battery and Charger Forum, there are thread on converting PC power supplies for use in powering 12-volt dc battery chargers.
Gary

---------
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid 7220
Don't remember, think the one I did was in MA. Works like a champ though and all fer less than a Sawbuck to.
Roger Christenson wrote:

--
Mike Gordon AMA 320990
Remember RC Pylon Racing, the ultimate thrill, when Sex and Drugs just ain't