Put the Nextstar in the Trees

Funny story...although embarrasing. I took the Nexstar out for my first RC flight at the inlaws ranch. This ranch has two real grass runways that run E/W and N/S. I had been planning on taking out at a local club in Houston but brought the plane along for Easter just in case I got the bug to try and fly it.

It was a fairly windy day with winds between 8 and 15 but I had finished breaking in the engine and taxiing around so I decided to give it a whirl. Flew a very nice takeoff and a few turn upwind and let it climb up and made some nice turns, etc. The plane was very stable even in the relatively strong winds and then as it got further to the east it stopped responding to control inputs. It leveled off before making a turn and nosing straight down into the forest with a huge CRACK. I then noticed that in my excitement I had neglected to extend the radio anntenae. DUH.

So I jump on the 4 Wheeler to go find the pile of scrap wood and find the airplane sitting on its wheels in the middle of the dense pine forest with a broken prop. The airplane is in perfect condition, and all I can gather is that it bumped along through the branches and leveled itself off before impact. It will live to fly another day, except the next time will be at an r/c airflield with an instructor....and the anntenae extended.

The plane did fly great, so it will be fun to learn how to fly on it.

Reply to
kirkstinson

Amazing. Be sure and check everything for damage. The RC Gods were smiling on you. I lost a Tower Hobbies Uproar to that antennae trick. mk

Reply to
MK

My best advice it to leave it in the tree and get yourself an Avistar....LOL

Phil AMA609

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Reply to
pcoopy

Congratulation on your flight. Everything seemed to go as appropriate but for the antenna screw-up. Make yourself a check-list. You have demonstrated that you don't need an instructor. Pay more attention.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Cashion

Hi Kirkstin, I erroneously did the same thing 3 years ago. I flew 3 round circuits before realizing that the antenna was not extended. I was fortunate enough I didn't crash the plane. Things went well after I pulled the antenna to full lenght.

Sorry that you learn it the hard way.

Suthep

Reply to
suthep.choojai

I think the lucky one may need a wee bit of instruction :) e.g. Did he range check? Preflight check? Pre-T.O. check.? Pre-T.O. = B-SCAT B=Battery condition (Rx and Tx). S=Switch positions. C=Controls A=Antenna fully extended. T=Trims (should call your attention to proper model selection).

Being a good pilot also involves making the right decisions. :-0)

Reply to
Ed Forsythe

you have failed the ultimate range test!

Bruce

Reply to
aa2dd

Please don't misunderstand me. This was at a private ranch with considerable distance away from people. I would never have attempted this with a) people near b) houses near c) proximity to any sort of safety risk. Checklists are of considerable value, as is a good experienced instructor, as is good decision making, as is practice. I am brining a few hundred hours of scale flying + ratings + tailwheel flying to the table so I can relate to what Ed is saying.

Reply to
kirkstinson

Hi Kirk, Taildraggers! I knew there was something about you I liked! - Taildraggers separate the men from the boys ;-) Taildragger pilots don't need no steenking checklists - Just kidding .

Reply to
Ed Forsythe