Question About Mechanical Retracts for a Corsair?

Does anyone know of a good brand of mechanical retracts for the Top Flite Corsair kit? Pneumatic is out of my budget so I'm trying to find a good pair of mechanical ones that will work just fine. I know they need to be rotating retracts since the gear retracts backwards, and I think the manual suggests 100 degree movement. Also, I've never used retracts before, so if you have any advice or comments about mechanical ones I would appreciate it. Thanks!

Reply to
NVHLVNOP

You may want to rethink this budget thing. The cost of mechanical retracts isn't just the retract units. On top of that you need a good retract servo and a battery to power it. And considering the bent wing your building you might find it easier to use two servos rather than fool with the linkage that would be involved to drive both gear off one servo. And a more complex linkage like that will require the best servo to reduce the risk. Plus, if the linkage isn't right, one leg comes down and the second.......Oops!

For my money, pneumatic is the hands down winner for any of the war birds or anything beyond the very simple and straight forward set up. The Corsair is anything but simple and straight forward.

Chuck

Reply to
C.O.Jones

By the time you buy the retracts, servo, and larger battery, you'll spend just about as much as on a set of pneumatics.

Pneumatics are MUCH easier to set up, and with proper maintenance, just as reliable.

Check eBayt from time to time. Robart 615 retracts (recommended for this plane) show up fairly often at good prices. Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"

Reply to
Dr1Driver

There are no mechanical retracts strong enough for an 8lb plane.

Reply to
Normen Strobel

I used mechanical rotating retracts ONE TIME and will never do that again. It was on an older Top Flight P-40. They have big wheels and even retract servos had a hard time getting them down unless I just about stalled the plane. Even working in a flat wing the linkage was a pain in the a$$. In a bent wing model you will be tearing your hair out and bashing the plane around before you get it right.

Robart mechanicals are too sloppy.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

Ya still gotta buy a servo to operate the air switch !

David

Reply to
David AMA40795 / KC5UH

A standard JR servo may sell for $17.95. A JR retract servo may sell for $62.95. Point made.

Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"

Reply to
Dr1Driver

Any old cheap servo will do for that. You wou't need a $50 retract servo on each side.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

One of my friends tried this on a BWB recently and after 3 or 4 months headache, he bailed. He even tried TWO retract servos (Hiteck's) and had one reversed. He could not get the geometry to work out. So when he bailed, he installed air.

-- Jim Branaum AMA 1428

Six_O'clock_High Target snipped-for-privacy@Guns.com

Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High

HS-75BB for $28.95 !

David

Reply to
David AMA40795 / KC5UH

If you use Robart mechanicals, you will likely need two of those. I know, I used the Robarts once. Never again. Its air for me now.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh