R/C Modeler Magazine...Gone?

On the other hand, you have to admit that it doesn't look good for RCM. My guess, and that is all that their current behavior is, is that they are sending out token mags to technically finish their obligations to their subscribers so that they will not have to provide refunds when the doors close. I wish it wasn't true, and it may not be. It sure would be nice to know what is actually going on. But, like in days past, RCM keeps things to themselves and to hell with the rest of us.

I appreciate RCM's existence over the years. They were the cement that kept R/C flying bound together for many decades. They will be missed, along with my 69 AMX and, well, I'd better leave it at that.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Nemo

Since they've obviously had a working relationship with the British Traplet Publications, I'll guess that Traplet may take them over. Unfortunately, Traplet isn't one of the Britmags that supplies full-size plans in each issue, but their content is generally good. Just speculation, mind you - we'll see!

Geoff

Reply to
Geoff Sanders

This thread came full circle and finally actually discussed the original topic. :>)

Brian

View this thread:

Brian Morris

Miss three car payments with the bank and tell me you're not a pedestrian. Same thing.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

Excerpt from e-mail from my LHS guy. Looks like they are gone.

"I just received a letter from Kalmbach Publishing informing me tha the June

2005 issue of R/C Modeler was their last.

-- bildo baggin

42 year old kid, married 3 kid

----------------------------------------------------------------------- bildo baggins's Profile:

this thread:

bildo baggins

Could they possibly be changing FROM Kalmbach Publishing to someon

else?

Jerr

-- tailskid

Been modeling since '49 - which makes me an Old Fart

----------------------------------------------------------------------- tailskid2's Profile:

this thread:

tailskid2

Ditto from my LHS in Sacramento this morning.

Reply to
Tom Minger

Guess they pulled the plug:(

Jerr

-- tailskid

Been modeling since '49 - which makes me an Old Fart

----------------------------------------------------------------------- tailskid2's Profile:

this thread:

tailskid2

Regular columnist Col. Art Johnson said he just received a call from Jim Pearson, RCM Technical Editor, informing Art they were done and he was returning some unpublished articles (scheduled for future issues) to Art.

Cheers -- \_________Lyman Slack________/ \_______Flying Gators R/C___/ \_____AMA 6430 LM____ / \___Gainesville FL_____/ Visit my Web Site at

Lyman Slack

On Fri, 2 Sep 2005 07:47:12 -0400, "Lyman Slack" wrote in :

Wow.

That seems to me to put the nail in the coffin.

I enjoyed Art's articles very much. I hope he catches on with one of the other magazines.

Same goes for Clarence Lee. I loved his column.

And the plan sets were fantastic.

R.I.P.

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

I finally e-mailed them and spoke with them by telephone on Monday, August 22nd. On that day I was told by the phone person that they were skipping three issues and extending my subscription by that many issues. On Thursday the 25th, I received a response to the Monday e-mail saying the pretty much the same thing, but adding an extra issue.

If the thing has run its course, so be it. I enjoyed it almost from the beginning. But I don't appreciate having been told tales by the office staff, who must have been saying only what they'd been told to say.

Anyway, this all seems kind of unimportant and small at the moment.

Texas Pete

Reply to
Pete Kerezman

On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 15:16:39 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Pete Kerezman) wrote in :

I imagine that they may not have known what was REALLY going on, either. I'll bet they didn't want to see their jobs evaporate. :o(

True.

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

Just to toss my two cents in here gents, but my LHS{hobbytownusa} tol

me today they received a memo stating june was the last issue a well...after reading your thread here I decided to email the hea editor and ask the simple question "are you totally done, dropping bac and punting or going to a "web based format magazine only"?...mind yo this email was mailed roughly 10min ago, but when/if I receive a reply so will you. I, myself, would hate to see them go...plans service and all...

-- Scratchbuilde

----------------------------------------------------------------------- Scratchbuilder's Profile:

this thread:

Scratchbuilder

It makes me glad that I ordered and received my Kaos plans from them before they closed their doors.

Ed Cregger

LHS{hobbytownusa} told

issue as

the head

dropping back

only"?...mind you

receive a reply,

all....

--------------

View this thread:

Ed Cregger

The columnists for RCM have received notice that the magazine is shutting down and they are returning unused articles and columns.

Red S.

Reply to
Red Scholefield

magazine is shutting

I hate to see them go.

I met M/Sergent Ed Thompson while working at my part time job in the Luke AFB hobbyshop in 1966. Ed was the Technical Editor/Director for RCM in those days and was the creator of the Digitrio radio control system. He was an excellent representative and spokesperson for RCM.

I had been flying control line models on the base. I also founded the Luke AFB Eagles Model Airplane Club in mid 1966. Ed was instrumental in helping us attain a meeting location, complete with dedicated building rooms and even funding from the base recreational office.

Later, Ed took me flying with a buddy of his and introduced me to R/C flying. At days end he gave me a built Ambroid Charger R/C model, sans wing, but with receiver, compound escapement and a battery pack. It was Ed and RCM that started me on my way in R/C.

I'll miss both Ed Thompson and RCM as time goes by.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

Well, I was a subscriber from the first issue. Iam truly sorry to see it go...however, if criticism is appropriate, I have seen it go from a greatly informative and inspirational R/C magazine that almost every R/C'r that I encountered in those days considered RCM to be absolute gospel and relied on the magazine. Nowadys, in my opinion, the magazine came to be nothing more than a slick presentation of endless product reviews and advertisinig. I know, advertising is what really pays for the magazine...but, again, my opinion, there wasn't much in it any more. So, very sad. The hobby is changing and buy and fly and so on with ARF's in predominance..those of us, myself included, who take great pleasure in kit or scratch building are now dinosaurs. I'm pushing 80, but I sure hope I can stick around another twenty years or so and see what I going to be the fate of the hobby as we knew it only a few years ago. MAN and others with Flying Models excepted are following RCM with the continuous reviews and not much else... Nowadays, I subscribe to Flying Models, and two British magazines which are absolutely great..RC Model World and Radio Control Models and Electronics (RCM&E) Superior magazines, full of information and light on the ARF product reviews. Regards t all, Frank Schwartz AMA123 in Hendersonville, TN

Reply to
Frank Schwartz

Sad to say, but all those "product reviews" are published as "thank you's" for advertising. Several publications have graciously accepted our FREE kits which we donated for product reviews. When we declined their invitations to run expensive paid ads, they subsequently declined to run our kit reviews... but, of course, they kept the kits & motors we sent them. And some people probably believe that the product reviews that do get published are unbiased :-)

Randy Roman Model Airplane Engneering

R.J. Roman

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 07:32:28 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net (Frank Schwartz) wrote in :

I loved the Clarence Lee column and the plan sets.

Idle and uninformed speculation: the editor who died was the one who was holding things together. May he rest in peace.

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

"R.J. Roman" wrote in news:8PXUe.5288$zG5.1886 @bignews1.bellsouth.net:

I prefer to think that there are none that dumb, but I fear you're right. I'd certainly take the (RCM, MAN, MA, etc) reviews more seriously if once, just once, I saw a conclusion that "this product is deeply flawed and we cannot recommend it in its current state" or "You'd be better off buying Brand Y instead, because it's slightly cheaper and higher quality," or even "This is a good product. If you're interested in this sort of thing, you might also consider the similar products made by Brand Z and Brand W."

It *is* possible - there's RC Reports. And in the computer world, if you've ever read MaximumPC - I remember one review where the product's only 'good' feature was that most stores have a 30 day return policy.

But never, never, in RCM, MAN, MA, etc. More's the pity, because I suspect there are some inferior products out there . . .

Reply to
Mark Miller