RareBear/Saito 1.50/Which Prop??

Wondering' what prop to use on this combo if any of you have it. We started putting it together last nite and the owner says he's thinking

13X8...Is that big enough for the 1.50?? Seems like you go go bigger... Opinions?? Thanx
Reply to
TX_QBALL

Way too small. a 16x8 is a good overall size. If you are talking about the thunder tiger rare bear, then that engine is way too much.

Reply to
John T

I have a saito 1.50 and the prop to use is the 15x8 or 16x8. I have the

15x8 on my airplane withch is a balsanova and it works quite well.

yvan a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@storefull-3354.bay.webtv.net...

Reply to
Yvan Grondin

That is way too little prop. The valves will float or the engine come apart. Use at least a 15x8 for speed and a 16x8 for thrust.

Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High

I have a Laser 150 in mine with a Graupner 15 x 8 three blade prop. You need the 3 blade as a 3 blade spinner is provided in the kit.. Definately not too much as it needs the weight for balance. Although I have only flown it twice so far this engine gave good flying results with level flight at just over half throttle. If you check out the thread on rcuniverse most seem to be putting in larger engines than recommended.

Jim Gill Dundee Model Aircraft Club

Jim Gill

I ran my 150 with a 16x8 until it was fully run in [about 3 gallons of fuel] then switched to a APC 17x8 N.

remove my-wife to reply :-)

Reply to
Icrashrc

I have a different application and wonder if I can get away with an 18x6 pusher prop. Anyone else got any ideas?

Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High

I'm guessing you are asking because of limited prop selections. I don't suppose a 150 can be taught to run backwards cost effectively to give you more prop selections? Running my enya .19 backwards was trivial, but it's not a 150.

Steve

"Six_O'Clock_High" >>started putting it together last nite and the owner says he's thinking

Reply to
Steve Banks

"Six_O'Clock_High"

Reply to
John Alt

ROFLOL! You are right, that would be very non-trivial. I am going to try a

15x8 and a 18x6.
Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High

I was hoping for a response from someone with practical knowledge. None of the notes I saw mentioned pusher configurations. I have used 15x8 and 16x8, but in tractor configurations. Thanks for the thought.

Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High

In terms of prop selection, I don't think the engine knows or cares if it is pushing or pulling.

"Six_O'Clock_High"

Reply to
Steve Banks

Which was my point. Only issue is the placement of the muffler. You'll be spinning it around towards the prop, and probably pointing it in an upward fashion. If you are into hand starting, make sure the muffler isn't in a position you would strike it with the chicken stick. Not a problem if you are using an electric starter.

*Wear safety glasses* as the fuel spraying out into the prop can end up just about anywhere. As always in a pusher, check the thrust washer every now and then for wear.
Reply to
John Alt

Thanks for the notes. I was not sure I was smart enough to know any of that, so I thought I would ask before I test fly it in the morning. Since there seems to be a dearth of pusher props in the selected sizes except for wooden ones, I have elected NOT to hand start it.

Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High