RCV Engines

The horsepower of the RCV60SP is about average for a .60 cu. in. engine. What differs is the gearing of the output. This allows it to swing a larger propeller at half the usual speed. In general, the larger prop translates into more efficient operation.

It stands to reason that the engine must develop more torque in order to swing the bigger prop. So, the vibration effects of the torque would be greater than other engines of the same displacement. I don't know of any 60 sized engines being made today that recommend use of a 16X12 propellor. Vibration is on a par with a 120 running at half throttle.

Jim - AMA 501383

Kjell Aanvik wrote:

Reply to
James D Jones

I don't know of any other .60 engines that are designed to run full throttle at less than 6000RPMs. Take any good .61 and gear it down 2:1 and see what they would do.

I'm not saying that the RCV isn't a good design, just that you have to compare apples to apples.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

The prop doesn't go on the crank on the RCV engine, that's why I made the statement I did. And, 12K is also the average speed most .60 two strokes like to run.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

This is true but what one must remember when discussing RCV engines is, the crank shaft is not the propeller shaft. They are two distinct items in this engine.

C. J.

Reply to
C.O.Jones

Depends on RCV engine. Some have it on the crank, some on the valve shaft.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher