Re: regulator question

I would say that the vast majority of planes are flown with 4-cell flight batteries. There are always those who have to do something different just because someone who knows their second cousin thrice removed heard at a meeting.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

6v gives you more servo power. I see no point in using a regulator either.

Posssibly 2 cell lithiums at 8-9v charged, need one.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

And increased resistance and higher drain on the battery pack.

I think some pattern pilots use a regulator in order to have a consistent voltage in the system from the beginning of the day to the end.

Same voltage = same servo response time = one ingredient in flying precisely.

I'm just sayin' what I heard, not what I do myself (I'm not good enough to feel the difference).

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

Marty,

Good point regarding the fixed, due to voltage, servo response time with a regulator. I hadn't thought of that.

However I can't imagine my flying prowess will ever reach the level where I can discern servo response time changes when the voltage drops a few tenths. Whew, those guys you mentioned must be good.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Maybe the guys that sell regulators would like you to think that, but I'm pretty sure it ain't so. Sure, the larger planes can benefit from the extra torque a 5-cell pack provides, but for general flying, it's not a concern.

Besides that "nah nah na boo boo" bit, regulating to 5V gives you consistent power throughout the entire battery charge. On a regular

4-cell pack, you get anywhere from 5.3V to 4.8V. A freshly charged 5-cell pack can often measure 7V, which tends to make the servos do crazy stuff.
Reply to
Mathew Kirsch

I'm not trying to start an argument or flame war here, but was just curious. After flying R/C for many years without electrical related problems I thought there was something missing in my not using regulators, or redundant receivers and transfer switches.

The 5 cell (~6v) packs do increase the speed and torque for most servos but not when a regulator is used. If it's regulating to 5 volts.

Are there R/C pilots who can actually sense the difference in servo speed when the voltage drops a few tenths?

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Same here. :o(

They're pretty amazing people.

Some of them put 1000 flights on an airframe and then sell it--and another guy gets to fly a great airplane.

They also burn dozens and dozens of gallons of fuel when they're practicing.

I trust them when THEY say they can tell the difference in servo responsiveness. I know I'm not there yet, and at the rate I'm going, I'm not gonna get there.

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

There are people who say they can tell the difference.

I'm not one of them.

I'm not qualified to say they're wrong.

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

? Not sure what that means? Increased battery internal resistance? yes, but compensated by the extra volts available.

Agreed.

That does make some sense. If the servo neutrals and speeds vary markedly with voltage, though I am not sure they do...

Yes. I can see the point of that. Frankly I'd got for two lithiums and use a UBEC probably.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher