Real Flight G4

Helo everyone, I am new to this group. I am a avid RC flyer and builder. Is there anyone out there using Real Flight G4?

Reply to
J.F.

On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 21:26:32 GMT, "J.F." wrote in :

I've flown it at the hobby shop several times.

Makes me want to get a new computer so that I can run G4. :o)

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

Nope.

(I just had to say it, you all were thinking it!)

Reply to
G-Dawg

I use Real Flight G3.5 and won't be upgrading to G4, since I feel its unnecessary for me to do so. G3.5 is just fine as a simulator unless you want to simulate water landings and take-offs. I guess there are a few other improvements, too, but they are minor in my opinion.

Having said that, if I were in the market for a simulator, G4 would be at the top of the list. In my opinion, Real flight is more flexible than the other sim programs, but I've tried four of them and they are all really cool ............... especially in winter.

By the way, if you need to ask specific questions about the program or would like to download free airplanes and airports, check out the Knife Edge site:

Knife Edge is the company that developed the software for Great Planes.

Harlan

Reply to
H Davis

I borrowed my friend's copy and controller and couldnt put it down. He made me give it back tho... It wouldnt run on my system till I upgraded to a 256mb AGP card. You have to have at least pixel shading 1.4. The rest of the system is a 1.9ghz Athlon single core processor with 1.5gigs of DDR Ram. Most scenarios will run but not the ones with water or night time. The slope and thermal scenarios are pretty jerky. That being said, I am waiting for my tax refund so I can get a new 3.0ghz dual core system mainly so I can run G4 with all the bells and whistles operating.

The program itself is absolutely amazing. The included planes seem to behave exactly like the RL counterparts I have flown, especially the Super Sportster 40. Handles exactly like my SS20 does. I have been working on the different helicopters which all handle different. I only got to play with it for several days but when that refund comes in I will buy my own copy to go with the new computer. I highly recommend it.

Reply to
Fubar of The HillPeople

I just upgraded to G4 the other day. It's an awesome program. I lik

it a lot. In addition to being able to fly in water, the physics als seem quite a bit different to me. I ran 3.5 for about a year and go pretty used to it. On certain planes, the E3D for example, it too everything I had just to hover it. It was very unstable. On G4 it's breeze to hover. It's really fun to fly it on G4. I played wit physics speed on 3.5 to slow it down, but it slows down everythin (stick inputs, etc.) so I didn't really like it. I sold 3.5 on ebay, s I was only out about $80 to upgrade to G4

-- tcclon

----------------------------------------------------------------------- tcclong's Profile:

this thread:

tcclong

That assumes you have a PC powerful enough..When I got G2, I needed to replace the CDROM drive in my PC - it had died from lack of use - and get a new graphics card and more RAM. Cost more than G2 did..

to go to G4 would mean a whole new machine....

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Reply to
J.F.

Sounds like a good excuse to buy a new machine. :-)

Reply to
Vance Howard

There, fixed my signature.

Reply to
Vance Howard

Its MY excuse to buy a new machine!! C'mon, refund check!!!

Reply to
Fubar of The HillPeople

i hate new machines. They take months and pounds to get working properly the way I want them - as opposed to the way the software designers think I want them.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

G4 is the best simulator I've ever owned and I've owned severa

including other great ones like Ikarus Aerofly Professional Deluxe an Reflex. Needed to upgrade my computer's memory and install a new vide card for $112, but it was worth every penny. Flight mechanics, visuals and the Futaba transmitter interface are just superb

-- ClipperBil

----------------------------------------------------------------------- ClipperBill's Profile:

this thread:

ClipperBill

On Mon, 04 Feb 2008 02:20:06 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote in :

My technique, which has worked OK so far, is to transplant my old hard disk into the new machine.

I've also used Norton Ghost to make duplicates of my setup on new and larger drives.

It's not the for the faint of heart, but it is a whole lot more fun than rebuilding my setup from scratch.

I've got ~50,000 files in my html folders. I don't want to start from scratch. :-O

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

That's why I build my own. I haven't bought an off the shelf computer since 1992. One upgrade after another and make it the way I want. Running Linux 99% of the time. Of course, I don't have any piece of the original computer left, but it served it's purpose.

I'll have to get another gig of ram, but everything else I have is more than sufficient to run G4.

Reply to
Vance Howard

Is this pc spec good enough for running G4 to good effect...

P4 3.2Ghz HT 800mhz FSB Geforce 7950GT AGP 8

2 gig of PC3200 DDR400 Loads of space remaining Gigabyte 8KNXP rev2 mainboard

Phil.

Reply to
Timelord

In message , Vance Howard writes

Does G4 run on Linux or are you running it under WINE or something similar?

Reply to
Max George

How many megs is the video card? The "Optimum" is 256mb dedicated memory. Other than that, i was running it with a 1.9ghz Athlon, 1.5gig DDR PC2700.

Reply to
Fubar of The HillPeople

If your graphics card has 256mb of ram onboard, then I would say yes. If not, then some of the graphics features might be disabled.

Reply to
Vance Howard

I dual boot into Widows XP to use it. I will try and see if it will install into Linux with wine. Several of my Hoyle games have installed just fine.

Reply to
Vance Howard