Real Flight G4

Recieved wisdom is it wont, but Vmware may work.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

My question is, will G4 run on a Mac in Boot Camp?

G2 does just fine when I boot my Mac into Windows- no different than running it on a good PC.

And if G4 can run on a Mac, are the differences between it and G2 worth the upgrade?

Reply to
M-M

| My question is, will G4 run on a Mac in Boot Camp?

My guess is yes, but I have not tried it.

| And if G4 can run on a Mac, are the differences between it and G2 worth | the upgrade?

G4 looks like a small improvement to G3 (or G3.5, but G3.5 is only a minor change to G3) and I've not spent any time with G4, but going from G2 to G3 is a huge improvement.

When G2 was written, Real Flight was pretty much the only game in town. Sure, there were a few other simulators (Dave Brown RCFS, etc.) but Real Flight was far better.

But after G2 came out, serious competition appeared. Reflex XTR, Aerofly, etc. G2 was still good, but it wasn't the undisputed leader anymore. So they had to bust their ass and make G3 good. And they did -- G3 is a *huge* improvement over G2 in many ways.

I'm guessing that G4 is only an incremental improvement over G3 (though the controller does seem significantly improved -- letting you plug a TX into it AND use it, so you can have two people flying at once!) but going from G2 to G3 is quite an improvement, so going from G2 to G4 should also be quite an improvement at least.

Reply to
Doug McLaren

| How many megs is the video card? The "Optimum" is 256mb dedicated memory.

A Geforce 7950GT is a high end card. It's certainly not the highest, but it's reasonably close. I doubt that card has less than 256 MB of memory, and it should run pretty much anything, including RF, very well.

In case you're looking to rank video cards, this list is very useful --

| > P4 3.2Ghz HT 800mhz FSB | > Geforce 7950GT AGP 8 | > 2 gig of PC3200 DDR400 | > Loads of space remaining | > Gigabyte 8KNXP rev2 mainboard

Reply to
Doug McLaren

Unfortunately, Realflight G4 doesn't install on Linux using wine. I will try vmware later.

Reply to
Vance Howard

However, it runs decently on an MSI K8N Neo4 motherboard, Athlon 64 3200+ processor, 1gb memory, Nvidia Gforce 7600GT 256mb ram video card, and Windows XP. I am getting another 1gb memory module to put in so I will have 2 gm ram, and may see if I can manage to get an Athlon 64 3800+ processor for a decent price.

Now I need to go practice float flying. How do you land a cub with floats without flipping it over on it's nose?

Reply to
Vance Howard

"Vance Howard" wrote

Instead of a full stall, 3 point landing, you keep the approach flat, and basically fly it onto the water. No problems!

Reply to
Morgans

Reply to
Timelord

You should have absolutely no problems then. It's running great on mine and my specs aren't as good as yours.

Reply to
Vance Howard