recommended motor, gearbox, prop for small park flyer?

Having trouble with my GWS pico-stik-F. It flew better outdoors with the original prop(EP-1047) than with the recommended outdoor prop (EP-9070): with the latter it now hasn't the pep to stay aloft, even at 8.4V rather than the original 7.2V. I wonder if I should substitute a more powerful motor. Should I try alternate props? If so, what should I vary (diam.? pitch?) and in which direction? Have you a motor/gearbox combination to recommend? I see a bewildering variety, even among the GWS parts, at

example! Several planes recommend "speed 400" engines, others "speed 480," and I don't know what that means. Is it a power rating, rpm spec?

I'm puzzled, and need advice. Thanks, Tom

Reply to
gearloose

Umm. Odd that. If that is a speed 300 motor which I think it is, it may be the motor is on the way out. 9x7 should definitely work better than

10x4.7. You need speed in them there outdoor winds.

Another possibility is the motor and box are slowly siezing up. Often a drop of light oil on each end of the motor bearings, and a check that the ballraces are still running freely, and maybe a prop balance, will get back a few hundred RPM which is teh difference between staggering round and flying.

Spare parts for GWS stuff is stocked by

- my IPS powerplant definitely benefited from oiling and a new ballrace (the old one got CA in it repairing crash damage :-)) after a few hours.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher