Routing aileron cable thru wing

I'm in the process of building a Chaos and I've decided to mount a servo in each wing panel, about half way out. Before I cover the wing, I would like to install some sort of 3/8" to 1/2" conduit to accomodate the aileron extension cable. What is the best or accepted material to use? Some sort of paper or cardboard tubing? Maybe roll my own?

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Some hobby shops sell inexpensive paper tubes just for this purpose.

Ed

Dave wrote:

Reply to
Ed Smega

So far, I've just rolled my own. Seems to work OK.

I recently fit wing servos into an airplane I inherited. I couldn't figure out how to get any tubes into the ribs without cutting the wing in half, so I just cut holes in the ribs and snaked the wires through. If I have to replace the servos, I'll just tie string to the leads before pulling out the old servo and use the string to guide the new lead through.

I believe the SIG Rascal ARF uses this system--no tubes, just holes in the ribs and a piece of string to get the builder started. A friend somehow got the lead lost in the middle of the wing and we had to mess around with a snake to get it back out again. It took a while, but we managed to get him back up in the air that same day.

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

use some nylon cord and a vacuum cleaner to suck the cord from the servo bay to the wing root hole (or vice versa) doesnt matter how tortuous the route is, the cord will find the easiest way through. then use the cord to pull your servo (extension) wires through.

tip. keep testicles away from vacuum cleaner ;-)

Reply to
<notonyour

Most hobby shops will carry small (about 5/8") model rocket tube. Cut holes in the ribs or foam. It's perfect!

Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"

Reply to
Dr1Driver

Boy, I don't recommend this... I saw a guy try it using his shopvac, and he wound up holding a MonoKote baggie of crushed balsa...

Not smart.....

Bill

Bill Fulmer

Another way to snake a lead thru the wing is to use a small 'shot' fishing weight attched to light string. Twisting and rotating the wing will get it to fall thru the rib openings until you get to the opening. Use the string as a lead to pull your servo wires thru. Just make sure you don't have a paddel fan spining above you while you are moving and shaking the wing..lol. Andy

We can make a box of wood.....FLY!!

Reply to
RCPILOT48

As long as you avoid the fans, this way works a lot better (read that as safer for the wing) than a vacume cleaner.

Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High

Something else that works very well.

Go to the hardware store and buy about 2 feet of that beaded chain they use for pull cords on ceiling fans.

Shove it in and shake it around. It has little friction and enough weight that it will almost instantly find its way thru the wing.

Reply to
Eb

I have a 6' length of "ball pull chain," the kind that's used on ceiling fans and light fixtures.

Reply to
Mathew Kirsch

I have used 1/2" rigid aquarium tubing for years. I CA it in place and it even adds some strength to the structure. The servo lead usually just slides right through to the end.

Good Luck,

Ray - Minooka, IL

Reply to
RVS3RD

My variation is a 1/4-20 nut tied to a piece of wide dental floss. The floss is strong enough to pull the servo lead and any extensions through the wing.

Reply to
Mike Norton

get some brown paper (the kind used to wrap parcels) cut it into 3 in wide strips, apply glue to one edge and start rolling diagnally. Cut the ends square and to desired length. The more glue you use, the stiffer the tube. I've done this for years to make 1/2 A rockets and bombs for my airplanes as well as severo wire guide tubes in wings and fuse sections.

Nosnar

Reply to
Nosnar

My SIG Somethin' Extra used plain copy paper to make the tubes. Works like a charm and Ill use the same method again on another wing when the time comes.

Jim W

Reply to
Black Cloud

and you will have healthier gums to boot!!!!

Reply to
tailfeathers

Estes BT-5 rocket tubes

Reply to
Don Hatten

I roll my own; the price is right.

Reply to
John R. Agnew

If you have holes through the ribs, I find it easiest to just thread the wires through after the wing is covered. I put a weight (a smallish fishing sinker or a 1/4-20 nut) on the end of a piece of dental floss. I put it in the servo opening, then shake the wing (while it is on end, of course). When it falls out the center hole, I tie the servo extension to the end at the servo hole, and pull it through.

On a Super Kaos, I plan to lighten the ribs and put 2 servos in, as you plan to do.

-- Mike Norton

Reply to
Mike Norton