Servo Cleaning

Does anyone else maintain their servos, or am I just weird*?

I just finished cleaning the pots in a couple of servos in my little much-crashed World Models AT-6. They work great. It's been in the repair shop for about two years now**, but if I can get the engine started it'll be back in the air soon.

So I'll have something that can fly upside down, without strings!

  • Granted, they're Heathkit servos that I built myself (about 30 years ago, egad!), so it's not like there are any direct replacements _or_ like I can't do the work.

** After a serious crash that broke the nose mostly off (thank goodness for CA glue). It happened about 30 seconds after I put the plane down on the grass, thought "gee my allergies are bad, I shouldn't be flying today", and took off anyway.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

Most people don't do it, but they should. Taking care of them would make them last longer and you find problems before it causes a crash.

Reply to
Vance Howard

True. Although I will say, reversing HS-55 servos is a severe challenge to one's manual dexterity and ability to focus on small objects.

Reply to
Tim Wescott