servo reversal Y lead

I want the 2 elevator servos on my model to operate in opposite directions using a Y lead.

Is it just a matter of reversing the + and - wires on one side of the Y lead, or is it more than that?

I know I can use ailevator setting on my TX, but it's only a 7 channel RX

Thanks in advance

Trefor

Reply to
Trefor

-------------

It is a lot more than reversing the wires on the Y-lead. All that would do is burn up the servo's amplifier chip.

You have to reverse one of your servos, meaning that you have to disassemble it, reverse the wiring of the motor and then reverse the outside wires of the feedback potentiometer. This used to be simple to do when servos were "wired", but most of today's servos are mounted to a PC board, making this difficult to impossible to accomplish. Your best bet would be to contact the distributor of the brand of servos you have and see if they offer a servo reversed from their stock.

Good luck.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

HS-55 servos are done the 'old' way. It's a pain to see anything with the wires so small, but I've successfully reversed two of them.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

"Ed Cregger" wrote

If you have some old servos, reversing one is a cheap choice.

There are also servo reversers that are made by several companies, that plug into the receiver, then the servo into the reverser. They work with some kind'a processor black magic.

Those are the first three hits when I typed in "servo reverser" into google. There are many more hits.

Reply to
Morgans

Maxx has a great "Y" reversing unit for sale that I've used, and it has a adjustment screw in it so you can make sure both elevators are even.

begin 666 R-C Connectors (3 of 3).url M6TEN=&5R;F5T4VAO

Reply to
Harry Kolomyjec

Why so difficult, with Y lead servo's will move in same direction, just use same side of servo for both elevator halves and youre OK.

(with ailerons you use opposite sides of servo by placing the the servo's in mirrorred position).

Regards, Peter.

Reply to
Peter J. de Vrijer

No, Peter, the servos are mounted on each side of the fuse about 6" from the elevator.

Therefore the port servo is upside down compared with the starboard one, so if the lower servo arm on the port side moves forward, the lower arm on the starboard side moves aft

I'll try and find a pic of this type of setup and post a link

Thanks anyway

Trefor

Reply to
Trefor

What servos are you using? If Fut, you can use a JR on the other side. mk

Reply to
MJKolodziej

Hey! what a great idea. I never thought of that, I'll have a look through my box of servos and see if other makes go the other way, not sure if any JR though

thanks

Trefor

Reply to
Trefor

I was hoping both servo's fitted in the fuselage. And of course you think its ugly (or there is no room) to use the upper arm on one of the two.

Reversing the servo would mean that you have to switch the two leads on the DC motor in the servo AND switch the two outer leads of the potentiometer in the servo. But you have to be able to make reliable soldering joints.

Succes, Peter.

Reply to
Peter J. de Vrijer

So use opposite sides of the servo's - lower one side, upper the other? Steve

Reply to
Steve

-----------

I keep forgetting that reversing leads are available these days. I have a couple of bipes to do soon where reversing leads might make the job much, much easier to accomplish. Thanks for the reminder.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

I had a unit some years back that was a "Y" harness with a built-in circuit board to reverse one of the servos; I seem to recall it was manufactured by Cermark(????) You also might check with Central Hobbies and Radical R/C.

Cheers -- Lyman

Reply to
Lyman Slack

Thanks for advice everyone.

It seems there are two ways to achieve this, either:-

  1. Use a reversing harness which include an electronic gizmo to reverse the servo. Usually includes a pot to fine tune the elevator. Costs about £10/
  2. Use the aliavator function and put the second servo on channel 8.

I decided on the aliavator option as I had an 8 ch rx in another plane which I swapped for the 7 ch one I had for this plane. Incidentally, the plane is a "baby" ucando .46, with OS 70 FS

I also found that using a standard Y harness with a futaba servo on one side and a sanwa/airtronics servo on the other side also worked, but with limited success. Although they were reversed directions as required, one moved faster and further than the other.

Thanks again

Trefor

Reply to
Trefor

Radical lists them:

Y Harness With REVERSE BUFFER Futaba

10" long with REVERSE BUFFER. Use to run two servos off one channel when one needs to work in reverse such as is common when two servos are used in the tail on one elevator. Has trim-pot so you can dial one servo in to match the others center position. Trim pot is in end of black shrink wrap on LH side of pic. SKU Number:CYREVBFJ Price: $14.00

Reply to
Red Scholefield