servos recycling

Putting together a Slow Stick. The problem is that the servos keep on rattling back and forth. The transmitter is off. As soon as I connect the ESC to the battery, there those little buggers go. After a good night's sleep, checked the wiring hookup and it seems to be in accordance with the instructions by GWS, except the battery is 8.4 V rather than 7.2 as suggested.

Any ideas on what the problem might be and corrective action?

TIA for any suggestions.

Don

Reply to
Donald Elie

Turn the transmitter on first.

Reply to
Don Hatten

Reply to
Donald Elie

Tried it. Problem still there. But thanks for the suggestion.

Don

Reply to
Donald Elie

Try using the recommended battery. Maybe the ESC can't handle the voltage.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

Move ESC well away from the reciever. You may find that some receivers just jitter on noise when no transmitter is on.

Or uyou may have noise in yer workshop. I do.

Test with tx on and antenna down, to at least 30m. If you get that with not too much chatter, motor on and off, its flyable.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Unlikely. More likley the switching part of the ESC is interfering with rx. Distance is the only cure.

I had this with an ESC once - had it slammed against RX case. Shortened motor-to-esc wires and bunged it up against firewall. No more probs.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Unless I splice in an extension, they're as far apart as practicable.

The only electronic noise would come from the monitor, but other R/C setups haven't been effected. Now if you're talking about noise from the dog or grand kids or "Herself", that's a whole different ball of wax.

Not possible to establish even an approximate position for the servo arms.

I've got a nagging suspicion it's the ESC. when the LHS opens next week I'll swap it out, unless something else pops up.

Regards, Don

Reply to
Donald Elie

Sometimes servos get twitchy when the transmitter overpowers the receiver. I've seen this happen on my workbench when my transmitter is, say less than five feet away from the model. Hook it up and move the transmitter away from the model and see if your servo jitters stop.

Reply to
Morris Lee

I never test my radio systems in my workshop (basement). ther is ALWAYS gitter in the servos regardless of the XMTR being on or off. I have flourescent lights, a TV and a computer down there, (not to mention the washer/dryer that are often running) so there is all kinds of electrical noise, not to mention the "echo" of the transmitter as the RF bounces around off the walls. I'd suggest you take it outside and get a good 10-15 ft from it with the antenna down and see what happens before you go replacing anything.

Mark

Reply to
Penguin254

On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 04:17:23 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@frenzy.com (Doug McLaren) wrote in part:

That's something I'll also do next week.

Thanks, Don

Reply to
Donald Elie

Paul, Natural Philosopher, and everyone else who missed the obvious:

99% of the time, especially with GWS receivers, the servos WILL jitter.
Reply to
Mathew Kirsch

I believe that he said in a later post that it also did that when he turned on the tranny.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

I didn't miss that. Aspaul said, he saidit did it with it on.

I can get with parkfly receivers at best 12ft range (aerial down) in my workroom. Computers and so on mess it up bad.

outdoors, its much better.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Indoors with FM, you can have some serious multipath problems as well. Especially with masonry walls.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

Even better with walls of timber, overlaid with metal lath and render :-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Thanks for all the suggestions and clues. The difficulty is corrected. To make a long story short, it was a bum transmitter Xtal.

Don

Reply to
Don Elie