TAM 5 Update

Just got back from TAM headquarters. TAM 5 is over 1200 miles into its trip and things are looking good. If all goes well the guys are expecting to arrive in Ireland at about 6AM eastern time tomorrow. The guys are having trouble getting the web page updated due to the large amount of traffic on the site.

Craig

Reply to
Craig Trickett

Craig, would it be possible to get pics of what the TAM headquarters look like just for curiousity maybe, plane is almost at 1400 miles, wow, this is exciting stuff awesome work so far!!!! by the gang

Reply to
Tony Law
1465 miles, wow this is great stuff folks! Go TAM 5.

Tom Wales AMA 435536 The flyn' saxman

Reply to
Tom Wales

Reply to
Tony Law

I know the guys have been take pictures...I'll see what I can come up with. They are located in the Royal Canadian Air Force Association club here in St John's.

Craig

Reply to
Craig Trickett

Any more news on progress of the flight Craig? It's now 3 hours since the last website update and 4 hours since the last set of data on the site. I want to know when it's safe to start breathing again ;-)

Reply to
John Privett

Everyone stopped breathing for a while, they lost the data, now she`s back. GO man GO. rick markel

Reply to
Aileron37

I don't know about you, but I'm still not breathing! Latest update on the site - only 8km (5miles) to go :-)))

Reply to
John Privett

THE PLANE HAS LANDED!!!!, awesome

Reply to
Tony Law

We can all start breathing again. Latest update on the site;

"Tam 5 has landed successfully. Dave Brown landed plane within 35 feet of designated landing site."

Congratulations to Maynard and his team. I wonder how much fuel was left when it landed?

Reply to
John Privett

I was wondering that also about the fuel Also, what happens to the plane itself, does it go to a museum like the Smithsonian? I'm also guessing the other 2 planes wont have to be launched, since TAM 5 has been sucessful ! I wonder what shape the plane itself is in after the long journey, probably fine as it made it, think it's clean still?

Reply to
Tony Law

FUCK ME!!!

Well done Maynard. I really didn't think he would make this one.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Now we'll hear from all the "experts" how it could have been done better, or that it wasn't really all that big a deal, or . . . . . .why was Dave Brown there to land it? . . .

It will be interesting to see how the media reports this one . . . if at all.

Red S. Proud to be an AMA member.

Reply to
Red Scholefield

Dave Brown was part of the plan, the plane was taken off autopilot , so they could land it conventionally like a R/C plane , once they could get a visual on it, i think the engine was shut down first, they had to use a pilot on the newfoundland side to get plane up, in first place, using a typical futaba transmitter, then autopilot took over once they got it over the water

Reply to
Tony Law

I talked to the russian space station MIR with 3watt , why wouldnt 1watt be enough to controll the plane? You wont get a clearer line of sight than that ya know....

Reply to
GuW

I remember reading about the record in some model magazine (MAN?) way back when. IIRC, he used a directional antenna. No way will I speculate on power output...it was a long time ago.

Wish I could find that article again (pre-internet, pre-Google)...I seem to remember the biggest hurdle he had was having the radio continue working in the cold temperatures aloft.

Later Don

Reply to
Don Hatten

They flew on the 50MHZ band.

I was there when we got the news on the landing.....it was one of those moments that you will remember for a long time.....the looks on the guys faces and the reactions of everyone was fantastic.....Maynard said that whenever he breaks a record like this he gets too choked up for word....he was not wrong....the wasn't a dry eye in the room........I am proud to have been a small part in the project........Congratulations Team TAM........the big question now is......What's Next???

Craig

Reply to
Craig Trickett

How about retracing Lindberg's route from New York to Paris? That would be a lot farther and I guess would be tough to do and still stay within the FAI's weight limit. But it would still be fun to do even if it was not done as an official "model airplane" record attempt. With all the history and romance behind Lindberg it might be possible to get sponsorship from one of the TV networks.

Jeff Bean

Reply to
Jeff Bean

I'm still trying to get used to the fact that TAM5 made it to Ireland. This is going to take a while.

Good going, Maynard and team.

Ed Cregger

TAM........the

Reply to
Ed Cregger

I think it was an outstanding accomplishment. I'm curious as to why, in a thread of such positive comments about the event, you chose to post such a comment. A post-event discussion of the hows and whys can't take away from what has been achieved by Maynard et al. I'm elated he (successfully) made the trip, but now I not only want to see his methods, I want to know why he did things the way he did... not so I can criticize them, but so that I may learn from them.

Reply to
Warren May