Test, need not open

Plane Back Top 3-4 View A .jpg

Reply to
wanjung

Plane Back Top 3-4 View A .jpg

Reply to
wanjung

Not that I mind when newsgroups are used for testing, but did you know that there are newsgroups just for these sorts of tests?

Go to the top of all the newsgroup directory.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Cashion

This is a test of tinypics. Please ignore.

wanjung

Thanks, Ken. But I finallly figured put how to use tinypics, as you can see below. I am looking for the newsgroup directory. I can't find it. I'm just a bumbler. Can you help so I will not conduct any further tests here?

Wan

Reply to
wanjung

Hey, that's my cat! You can have it by all means. His name is "Big Yellow Kitty" :) Wan, I'm just kidding, Mine looks like that though. mk

Reply to
Storm's Hamburgers

My cat's name is Miles, supercat : )

I did a search for the newsgroup directory, but seems others were having trouble finding the ones they wanted. There are literally hundreds of sites that have that title.

Wan

Reply to
wanjung

alt.test would be a good place to "practice"

Reply to
The OTHER Kevin in San Diego

Thanks for the alt.test. It works and I have it book marked. I can test posting all kinds of things without annoying anyone?

Wan

Reply to
wanjung

Thanks for the alt.test. It works and I have it book marked. I can test posting all kinds of things without annoying anyone?

Wan

Reply to
wanjung

Wan, there are so many signature options on my newsreader, Agent, that I had to use one of the test sites. I bet I posted 30 messages before I got it figured out.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Cashion

FFS, can people please propogate the fact that many years ago at least one of the Usenet pioneers felt that it was now okay to post to a newsgroup so long as the subject header was marked as such.

The reason for this change was that any post sent to alt.test was no guarantee that a post would then get to another newsgroup.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard Brooks

In article , Richard Brooks wrote: | FFS, can people please propogate the fact that many years ago at least | one of the Usenet pioneers felt that it was now okay to post to a | newsgroup so long as the subject header was marked as such.

So? One person thought it was OK several years ago, and since he was there years before that, that makes it OK? Ultimately, Usenet today is what we make of it today, not what one of the `pioneers' thinks it should be.

I'll bet we could find some pioneers who don't think it's OK to post test messages to non-test groups too.

I'd also bet that overall, the `pioneers' are both amazed and aghast at what Usenet has become. | The reason for this change was that any post sent to alt.test was no | guarantee that a post would then get to another newsgroup.

That is true. But even so, it's still annoying at best when people put test messages into newsgroups that are actually being used.

If your post isn't at least somewhat on-topic, don't make it -- it's really just that simple. If you want to make a test post to rec.models.rc.air, cleverly disguise it as an on-topic post, by making it a real on-topic post! How hard could that be?

Lest I be a hypocrite, I got bored one day (it was raining, or I was working, or I had to watch the kids or something -- ultimately, I couldn't fly) and I had just answered another email about where the local slopes were, so I went and found the Google maps information for all the places I go fly in Austin, TX --

nothing really special, but one thing that amused me is that if you look at the HCAM field and zoom way in, there's a few cars visible, and there's a speck in the pits that I suspect is somebody's plane.

How often can you claim that your model was visible from orbit? :)

(of course, this is assuming that this particular image came from a satellite, and not from a plane flying over. It's also a bit tricky to determine just who's plane it is, since it is just a speck.)

I'll bet if we went poking around in some of the big sailplane club fields (with their big models), we could find some clearly visible models in google maps. Or maybe an IMAA field ...

Full scale planes are quite obvious, of course -- and it's great fun to go looking at places like Area-51 and look at the planes that google actually lets you look at. There's even places where you can see planes in flight, which is kind of neat.

Reply to
Doug McLaren

, it's still annoying at best when people

Not IHMO, this is a test thread.......It went ok, things learned. mk

Reply to
Storm's Hamburgers

On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 19:37:04 +0000, Richard Brooks wrote in :

FWIW, I've added this quotation to the Usenet page on .

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 20:16:58 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@frenzy.com (Doug McLaren) wrote in :

That's two in a row. I added your quotation to the Big-8 history page: .

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

Sorry folks. I had to come back to tell you that "tinypic" keeps all the photos I sent as an experiment and if I typed in my name in "search" all those photos I sent popped up as the "newest" photos sent. Did you see the photo of my plane and cat I posted here? I would not want my photos to be copied and used by strangers. I thought the photos were recipient specific.

I will not be using tinypic anymore. I will delete their link which is presently book marked. I'll go back to the other thread where someone gave me that link and say the same thing there.

Wan

Reply to
wanjung

Below, where?

Wan, it is bad form to post images to a newsgroup unless it is one for that purpose. There are many binary newsgroups that can be used for posting images. There is even one for model planes (I believe). Find that group, post your image there, then write here to tell us what the link is to your pictures.

That is how it is generally done.

Keep the images in jpg format and less than 60K in size so they will download faster on machines with dial-up connections.

You can see how I solved this image problem by going to

This is my personal image site and you can see images of my models over the years and a few other things.

Good luck... Ken

Reply to
Ken Cashion

Sorry, Ken. That photo is in my post #4.

Thanks for your advice. But I said I won't be using tinypic anymore for the reasons stated in my post #17.

Wan

Reply to
wanjung

You'll notice that I have not posted for awhile, But a long lost friend found me from this thread. For that I am grateful.

Wan

Reply to
wanjung