The Great Hoax? Do Zagi Razors Really Fly?

I have had it with my Zagi Razor! It simply refuses to fly. I can get it up into the air (even built a PVC peddle launcher to get the perfect launch) but if I attempt to make any maneuver it spirals into the ground. I have read and re-read the manual and have set it up EXACTLY as it instructs. I have balanced it per plans and then moved the balance point forward per a suggestion on some newsgroup. I have tried reducing the throws and then increasing the throws. Yes, the prop is on the right way and it seems to have reasonable thrust. The radio is working fine and have range checked it with motor running. I am a competent pilot and have been flying R/C for 25 years. I have a Wild R/C IFO that I love but needed something for breezy days that could handle the wind. This thing can't even handle itself! A $100 disappointment. Well, I guess there is one good thing about this plane. It is rugged! Nothing of significance has broke after TWO DOZEN hard crashes! It would probably survive forever except that I think I'm beating the crap out of my radio! So has anyone out there got a Zagi Razor to fly? I noticed that Zagi doesn't sell it on their website anymore. Maybe this is why!

Reply to
propbuster2

| I have had it with my Zagi Razor! It simply refuses to fly. I can | get it up into the air (even built a PVC peddle launcher to get the | perfect launch) but if I attempt to make any maneuver it spirals into | the ground.

That sounds like either the throws are too large, or the center of gravity is too far back.

| I have balanced it per plans and then moved the balance point | forward per a suggestion on some newsgroup. I have tried reducing | the throws and then increasing the throws.

Well then ...

You might want to try moving the balance point even further forward. Add some weight to the tip if you have to. At worst, it won't be able to gain any altitude if the CoG is too far ahead.

| Well, I guess there is one good thing about this plane. It is | rugged! Nothing of significance has broke after TWO DOZEN hard | crashes!

That is indeed the best thing about the foam flying wings.

| It would probably survive forever except that I think I'm beating | the crap out of my radio!

The instructions on the 400x say to mount it in front of the battery

-- bad idea, as the battery will beat the hell out of it. Buried in the foam, it's very well protected.

| So has anyone out there got a Zagi Razor to fly?

I've seen them fly. They fly like a 400, but faster. Basically, it's just a Zagi 400 with clipped wings.

| I noticed that Zagi doesn't sell it on their | website anymore. Maybe this is why!

No, they've just since come out with better planes. But the Razor does fly and it does fly well.

It sounds like you've tried all the obvious things. I'm not sure what to suggest at this point. But certainly, the Razor can be made to fly just fine. The flying wings typically don't fly as well as the built up planes you may be used to, and they love to tip stall, but they should fly better than you're describing.

Were you closer, I'd offer to help figure out what's going on (I've flown lots of flying wings, powered and unpowered) but I'm a bit far away, and I won't be much help without being able to actually see and fly the thing.

Reply to
Doug McLaren

Mine flew like a bat out of hell. So did my buddy's. The only reason I quit flying it was the short flight times. Flew like all hell during those short times but were too short just the same. You probably dont want to hear this but mine flew great every time, including the first ever launch. I used the 500AR pack that came with it but usually flew with 600AE's. I dont know what you are doing wrong... Picture of mine when first built:

of it at the field:
at the picture I see I am still wearing my breeches fro attending Faire the day before so I am probably hung over. It still flew great. Sorry.

Reply to
Fubar

What a STUD!

Reply to
Dirtnap

If ya mean about as bright as a 2X4, you flatter me!

Reply to
Fubar

Do you have some reflex in the elevons? Both slightly up? CG may be too far back? Twist in the wing halfs when gluing it together? Yours is the first time I have ever heard of one not flying (other than due to pilot inexpeience).

John VB

Reply to
jjvb

Try moving the CG forward a touch and be a little gentler on the sticks. Also, don't get it too slow. Any flying wing with a swept, tapered wing will tip stall if it gets too slow. If this doesn't work, try a Unicorn,

Big thread on these on RCGroups.

Morris

Reply to
Morris Lee

Wrong link. Unless you like REO Speedwagon (not that it's bad, just not my taste)

TC RC Troll

Morris Lee wrote:

Reply to
Tom Crabtree