Thoughts on Nexstar

| >>The poll is flawed. It was posted in a place that to a large extent | >>determined the outcome.

For the record, the poll IS flawed, and for the reasons given. It's a difficult thing to poll. The best you could do would be to get lists of modelers from many different sources (each source will be skewed towards some sort of flying) and combine the lists and hopefully get a representative sample of the hobby (of course, it depends on how you define the hobby too. Does CL and FF count? How about non-flying models?), and then poll these people. Not simple.

| You may not see it as two camps, but many do. I've seen many people who | fly electrics who appear to have nothing but contempt for glow planes. | I've seen less of this attitude from the glow fliers about electrics, | but I know many glow fliers who have no interest in electrics. And then | there are the people in the middle, like yourself, who "will and do fly | anything".

If you really want to see contempt, see how the glider guys feel about glow planes!

(Personally, I fly everything. Haven't done helicopters yet, but do have one and just need to fix it up :)

| Your theory about the relative percentages of activity on rcgroups | proving that electrics are more popular than glow or gas misses one | major factor, rcuniverse. You will find that the opposite is true at | rcuniverse, the vast majority of activity is in the glow forums.

Of course, even getting those two is flawed, because you're ignoring the people who don't do online forums at all, and these people probably tend to be older and probably do more gas/glow and less electrics ...

Reply to
Doug McLaren

OK CG, per RCUniverse: All Forums->RC Airplanes->Beginners->How did you learn to fly?

[Poll] How did you learn to fly? Instructor from club 42% (48) A friend (non instructor) taught me 8% (10) Learned on sim 6% (7) Self-instructed, park flyer 15% (18) Self-instructed, glow trainer 15% (17) Self-instructed, other 11% (13) Total Votes : 113

If we accept the suggestion of going to rcuniverse then it looks like a dead heat between being taught and self taught. I don't think anyone can honestly say that "very few" people are self taught.

Extrapolati>

There is plenty of anecdotal evidence to counter such examples, i.e. clubs that refuse gliders. I think this is a dead end. Suffice it to say that plenty of people discriminate, often for all the wrong reasons . ...

But even on rcuniverse the data suggests that population is half self taught fliers. Another population has a landslide of self taught fliers.

If the agenda is to educate people then we need to be honest and not spread or invent misinformation. Everyone should read and understand the AMA's safety code (or your countries equivelant) even if you never give them any money.

I know it is a lot of "thou shalt"s and "thou shalt not"s but try and understand the reasoning behind the rules and do your best to keep the government from HAVING to intervene.

Reply to
Dave Brink

If you were getting the weather that we had here in Houston it had to be windy. Hamilton is a nice town...used to drive through all the time on the way to Lubbock.

Kirk

Reply to
kirkstinson

Well, I ended up sending the wingset back to hobby services to have them repair/replace/service. Should take a couple of weeks before the next set arrives.

I have tightened everything on the airplane, adjusted the clevises (rudder and elevators a bit off), removed the cheesy hobbico stickers (and "industy standard" tail number), checked the throws, and disconnected the "AP". After the wings arrive all that should be needed is the weight and balance check and engine break-in.

Kirk

Reply to
kirkstinson

Hi Kirk, Since you are learning to fly, why did you decide to disconnect the AP rather than decreasing the gain as you become more proficient. As I see it, the primary advantage of the AP is an expeditious, accurate, return to straight and level flight after the student places the bird in an "unusual position" from which he probably won't recover?

Reply to
Ed Forsythe

I am sure the AP system is very good, but I would like to learn to fly without it. This may change depending on what instructor I get paired with. My understanding is that the Nexstar has good positive dynamic stability even without the AP switched on. I also don't like the idea of an autopilot providing any control input during flare and landing.

This is probably a hold over from my full scale flying days as well. I always could hand fly an aircraft better than the autopilot could. The occasional exception might have been instrument flight in IMC when I was the only pilot in the aircraft and the workload was extremely high with little margin for error.

Kirk

Reply to
kirkstinson

Good luck Kirk - Please let us know how you do. BTW, don't get *paired.* Choose your instructor carefully after you spend some time watching them fly. Since you're full scale you should know what to look for. Steer clear of the stick bangers and the 2-speeds (WOT & idle) :-)

Reply to
Ed Forsythe

I live in Kuwait in the M.E. (Next door to Iraq) :) the only flyin

fields and instructors here are the UAAF and the KWT AF. We don? have too many RC planes in the skies of KWT. I?m purchased a NEXSTAR off the net, yes it?s not perfect, but it? handles very well in the air. I?m brand new to the sport, self taugh RC pilot, spent many hours on the simulator. To date I have logged flights in 4 weeks, no crash landing, no damage to my plane. The flight Sim is great fun and a great aid to teaching me how to fly Even my 3 year old enjoys the flight sim.

Mik

+------------------------------------------------------------------- |Filename: DSCF2868.JPG |Download:
Miketc

I suggest you review an earlier post on the Nexstar. It may help you avoid 2 mistakes in succession. Try a cheaper trainer and build it. Even if you master the trainer, the Corsair (or any warbird) is not a logical progression. Better to go to a docile low wing such as a Sig 4 Star 40 and then maybe the Corsair. This will give you plenty of time to work on and up to the warbird.

Reply to
strathboy

OK, excuse me, Newbie here but I agree with "Ted Campanelli" on this. I've just gotten into it and as I'm disabled I have time to surf the net and read/print off things. Even I have this impression from my reading reviews and story's. I believe it so much my list of trainer includes a buddy box capable controller and I've been emailing the local club president about getting trainer. I'll know more after the 19th of this month. Granted my goal is to fly a 1/8th scale fully decked out Corsair and then maybe an even larger B-17 so I want to do it right. D.

Reply to
sorry, no

OK, OK, I hear ya...I'm looking for a 40 or 60 size trainer and a radio box -w- buddy ability and a flight pack so I can use one radio with the trainer and other planes. Let's see what else have I made notes on from in the group? It's here on my desk somewhere...... :) D.

Reply to
sorry, no

Tower Trainer and Futaba 6EXAS radio will meet these specifications. There are bunches of other choices.

Reply to
C G

Oh, I forgot to mention, there are many discussions in the beginner forum at

on what trainer, radio, and engines work well for beginner.

Reply to
C G

Ok, I'll jump in. I bought a Nexstar a year ago at the age of 43. Flew the sim for about 30 hours before I even put the plane together. Soloed in 2 flights. I really like the nexstar for what it was designed for. It is a durable plane. I have smacked mine of the ground a couple of times and did a wingtip cartwheel on a really bad day. No damage. Patched holes in covering with box tape. The landing gear is TOUGH. Just get bolts in the holes, Nexstars are notorious for chucking gear. Now I see that Alpha trainers come with a sim package. Hmmmm. I think I would save a hundred and go with the Alpha. But I gotta tell ya, I think the sim is the most important thing going. Really gets the thumbs coordinated with the brain. Also helps with aspect situations and turning the right way. I did not use the AFS, wingtips, or speed flaps. That was based on an instructor decision. I really dont think I missed em. I have heard all the complaints about it being expensive because it comes with all that but you know, good for them. Not a lot of companies that give you that much choice. Keep the plane. Fly the crap out of it, then take the engine and radio gear over to the new plane. and have fun

Reply to
spanky.jeffmartin

Reply to
sorry, no

The 6EXAS has memory for 6 planes. Last time I checked it was about $70 less than the 7C. If you've got the money for the 7C, go for it, it does have more features. If money is tight, the 6EXAS has all the basic computer functions including the 6 plane memory that I mentioned.

Reply to
C G

CG, The problem would be the 6 channel wont work for my plans for the Corsair. I need at least 7, 9 if possible for other items later (ground steering, Camera, water bombs).

to the others also, opinions please. I've started talking to a guy who is strongly suggesting I "build up" my trainer instead of getting a combo or other RTF type. I was considering cutting a few from the line up and even looking for all the negative feedback in the forum mentioned in this group on the Nexstar as it is on the list. I've checked the three main supplies on the BBB and asked for feedback here with no negative reported unless I missed it. One bit of good news, attorney called Monday, he got a check on a judgment. Paid in full and I'll have it next week. So, about $2000.00 to spend. Wow, how much things have changed just over the past two weeks. So, I need some more feedback and I guess I'll be trying to find the NexStar info on the rc forum as so far the feedback found on the net has been fair to good.

As of right now I plan to get

1) Some parts for the red box Top Flite Corsair including the update kit, engine, radio, cockpit kit and retracts -w- air kit. 2) A flight pack for the trainer that goes with the radio above. 3) Ultra Tote kit -w- power panel 4) A .60 gas trainer, possibly one I have to build (strong recommendation), here's a rough list of trainers Hanger 9 Alpha .60 Arrow Semi-Symm Trainer NexStar Alpha .60 -w- JR radio SIG Kadet MKII SIG Kadet LT-40 Hobbico SuperStar or Avistar Global 60 ThunderTigre OH, and the supplies to build them (CA, sandpaper,....) D.
Reply to
sorry, no

Hi everyone. Here is my experience with the Nexstar for your readin

pleasure. At 47 I re-entered this hobby with the Nexstar 46 RTF. Everything i the box was in good shape, the instructions good, and it went togethe well. Everything worked! The form, fit, and function was as good as t be expected from a mass produced item. The finish was fairly wrinkled and had to be re-shrunk in many places to be acceptable, but hey -n big deal, in my honest opinion. The flight simulator packaged with this RTF kit is probably the bigges reason I bought the Nexstar. It worked great on my PC, and the fligh is VERY realistic, although kinda 2D in this world of 3D graphic cards. After a dozen hours or so I was able to land in a cross-win without crashing. The OS.46FX engine fired up first time easily, an ran well, but heavily on the rich side. Lots of unburnt fuel out o the exhaust.

  1. -After waiting for the dry lake to dry out(the Mojave Desert ha been very wet this year), I went out to solo for the first time bringing only my wife and the dogs to witness my failed attempt shoul I crash.... Plus I could always blame it on her. By the time we go out to the dry lake, the wind was blowing 2-10 mph, with some gusting I set the AFS at 30% and after taxiing around took off into the win with no problem. The plane seemed very tail heavy and had a hard tim trimming the elevator, as the plane had a tendency to pitch up and tr to stall, especially into the wind as the AOA approached 60 degrees an I had a hard time keeping the nose down. Turning was difficult, but was able to fly two loops around the field. My first landing (with th wind-oops) stalled at about 3 feet high, and then took an 8 foo bounce, landing nose first. Only damage:The nose gear bent back little, and I re-straigtened.
  2. -Readjusted the elevator for more down pitch and tried again. Thi only helped a litttle. By this time my brother-in-law arrived to watc this 'flight of the phoenix', and commented how gracefully the plan flew, not seeing the sweat on my brow and my wild gyrations of th sticks on the transmitter, as I struggled to contol the plane. M second landing was better and only bounced a foot or so, but enoug that the prop kissed the ground a couple of times, taking off about quarter inch off each end of the prop (not enough to unbalanc significantly for this experiment). Bent the front gear back again, an noticed a shallow dent on the belly where the wheel hit before springin back.
  3. Third time's a charm, although still very hard to handle in gust wind, hard to turn(had to fight all the time), and still wants to pitc up and climb all the time, which is not good. Landing this time wa smoother, although a little hot and I had to do the 'hard turn stop manuever using one wing tip in the dirt, as it was heading for the onl fence around. Only damage: A little scuffing of the covering at th wingtip, exposing less than one half inch of balsa. I need to rechec COG, and adjust engine to be more lean. Afterward, I did notice th stabilizer seemed to be warped up on one side, maybe due to shrinkin in the heat. I have to re-shrink it again. CONCLUSION: 1.THIS IS A VERY TOUGH PLANE. It was still flyable after hard landings. 2. Need to tweak & adjust and choose a calm day with n wind to fly. My only question is on the AFS: would the bright sun on the dry lak bed affect the flight characteristics of the AFS? The instructions sa not to fly over water, but I am not sure why.

-Bryce in SoCa

-- bkelchner195

this thread:

bkelchner1957

Hello "bkelchner1957" Thanks for your "review". This is what I've found more than negative. The plane, like all things, has it's "quirks" but it and the computer simulator are good for learning. As for mine I've narrowed it down to one of these RTF/ATF trainers

or one of the SIG Kadet series, possible the MKII or LT-40. This is due to a number suggesting I build my trainer for the construction experience. Corsair will be on hold but I reserve the right to buy parts and material for it.

I thing I'll go with some advice I got here and wait to buy any trainer till after my first meeting at the local club, I missed Tuesday's so it will be either next month or the president said he might arrange to get together at the field as soon as my AMA membership arrives. Yes, the membership to AMA is filed and paid. D.

Reply to
sorry, no