Tower Hobbies

The other night I made up an on-line order and noticed that ALL of my items had a green check by them. I clicked on the check and the help screen said that the particular item was eligible for Part Express. It also said that if all items were eligible for Part Express, shipping would be $3.99, $4.00 off! Priority Mail, just add $3.00. It said that upon checkout, I would have option for reduced postage. When I got to the checkout screen, nowhere did I have the option to do this. The next day I called Tower and the person there couldn't get shipping for $3.99. After she called her supervisor several times, her supervisor finally got shipping for $3.99 and priority mail for $6.99. Tower made good, but did I do something wrong? Anybody else have this problem?

Thanks,

Don

Reply to
Don and Marion

I dont order from Tower, I go to my LHS.. Tower screwed with me one too many times, the last they wouldnt take my Card cause it dont have a security code on the back.. So I told them Sorry I even tried and never returned. My LHS beats them on pricing anyway, and I have an account with my LHS to boot so I figure why bother.

Reply to
Dell Shannon

Different people have different experiences. I have been dealing with Tower Hobbies since the eighties and have never had a problem with any of my orders.

Reply to
Vance Howard

I've placed one order for 'parts express only' items and the shipping popped up as 3.99 as advertised. I know the cheap shipping is lost if a single item doesn't fit 'parts express' definition; and there seems to be no rhyme or reason for items to qualify, or not, as 'parts express.'

Easiest example to find is props: APC 12x10 Pattern is a 'parts express' item APC 12x10 Pattern is NOT a 'parts express' item APC 12x12 Pattern is a 'parts express' item Master Airscrew 13x6 K 4-Stroke is NOT a 'parts express' item Master Airscrew 14x6 K 4-Stroke is a 'parts express' item Props that get a checkmark individually do not get one if they have a quantity discount.

Reply to
Carrell

Did an experiment: Put in Maui and NO $3.99 Parts Express, California and $3.99 Parts Express and for an extra $3.00 Priority Mail!

Don

Reply to
Don and Marion

Tower didn't "screw you" by refusing to accept a credit card order without the validation code, your credit card provider did it to you.

These days the validation code is a _really_ good idea, and I don't complete internet orders wherein the seller _does not_ ask for that validation code.

If you'd ever received a four-page VISA bill you'd know what I'm talking about.

Cheers, Fred McClellan The House Of Balsa Dust

Fred McClellan

I get a 4+ page bill every month!

Reply to
David Poles

I also like the fact that Tower requires the code. However, if the LHS would compete with Tower on items other than Kits and ARFs, I'd do 100% of my buying from them.

Carrell

Reply to
Carrell

My LHS does and most times beats them on anything I want, but may be the amount of money I spend a month / year in there too.. I dont know.

Reply to
Dell Shannon

I don't mind supporting a real LHS, but the last real LHS in my neck of the woods folded up shop a couple of months ago due to Hobby Lobby's mass market pricing.

Now if I need an odd thingie or two I have to deal with droid money-takers at Hobby Lobby, or make my own, or wait until I need enough thingies so I can put together a Tower order that won't eat my shipping-charges shorts. Cheers, Fred McClellan The House Of Balsa Dust

Fred McClellan

With only one charge in four pages of your own making ?

My VISA card was stolen in shipment between the fulfillment house and the USPS bulk mail center, along with several hundred other VISA cards.

Just one of the reasons Service Merchandise went down the tubes - their cashiers weren't very alert to credit card fraud. A manager happened to relieve a cashier when my stolen card was used, and he noted the card being in use prior to the start date. When he requested the current card, the thief bolted out the door. By then they'd already been had to the tune of $4000 + in bogus charges.

Cheers, Fred McClellan The House Of Balsa Dust

Fred McClellan

Get some of your fellow club members to go in with you to get the order total over $150 and get free shipping. That's the way we do it.

Reply to
Charles & Peggy Robinson

Been avoiding shipping on orders over $150 for years.

That's the value of the Super Saver Club. After the first year it pays for itself since the cost is negated by waiver of shipping charges.

Cheers, Fred McClellan The House Of Balsa Dust

Fred McClellan

Yes indeed, Also with their Super Saver Club, you sometimes get a "freebe". Got a multi meter once and just recently got a mini panel thingy. Be sure, if you are a SSClub member, to send in your suggestions for doing things. Keep them short and simple. Even if they are things you take for granted and think everyone else knows about it. I have received over $150 in credit in the last four years. They pay $15 credit for each suggestion they use in the Tower Talk publication. This has paid for my SS Club membership. Really cool deal. Regards, Gene

Reply to
Gene